Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #22
BigDaddy300
multi species angler

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 6

AWESOME as usual buddy! Get all those painted up. Hopefully it wont be long before we can get out
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
CountryKat
Fish On!!!

Man that bait looks really good!
CountryKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #24
vc1111

Tested these yesterday at West Branch. The musky fishing was still slow. I did lose a small one at the boat, but we didn't raise or land any of the larger guys. I think they may still be in some phase of the spawn mode. West Branch does seem to turn on a little later than the other lakes for musky.

This one is made from cherry and has a stainless steel lip and is unweighted (no lead added to the body). At four inches long (measuring the body only, not the lip), it runs exactly like a Hot-N-Tot, but has a wider body and is taller in the middle from a side view. Casts very well and trolls well at speed:
Tackle Making

This second one is made of sintra signboard material, which is a white material similar to PVC. Its also four inches long and has 1/0 Eagle Claw hoods. It has a flat body with a simple rounding of the back and belly. It has a 1/16 inch #5 lip; slightly weighted with pencil lead.
It has a subtle action like the old style rapala minnows, but it stops dead and suspend when you stop reeling or ripping it, then it sloooowly sinks in a horizontal position.
Runs about 3 feet deep when casting, which should make it a good choice around and over the emerging weeds this spring, especially in the next few weeks. Its lighter and easy to cast:
Tackle Making

Six inch, chubby minnow bait in olive perch pattern with just a few flecks of gold glitter around the gills and the eyes; also carved from cherry, the sides of the body are rounded off and the bait is fatter in the middle tapering near the head and the tail.
This thing is very versatile for casting, twitching, ripping, and speed trolling. Hold your rod tip down it will go about 8 feet deep when casting; hold your rod tip high and it stays up at about 4 or 5 feet deep. I put a smaller hook in the middle to hang twister tails on to add a little action to the back of the bait. I will make more of these in the months to come:
Tackle Making

Last edited by vc1111; 04-23-2007 at 06:38 PM.
vc1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #25
lazy

As always, beautiful work VC ; I especially like the top one with the stainless lip. That looks like a musky killer.

Dallas
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #26
Weatherby

You sir are an artist.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #27
vc1111

Thanks, guys.

Here's a couple more I've been working on. They still need a couple coats of clear.

This one is Tennessee shad with a shot of purple. I can't get the camera to catch the golds on the back. I need to get something to diffuse the lighting in here a bit.
Tackle Making

This one looks black, but it's really a deep olive color with gold glitter on the gills and a few flecks of gold glitter along the belly:
Tackle Making

Last edited by vc1111; 04-27-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #28
BigDaddy300
multi species angler

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 6

Those are SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! I love the tennessee shad.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #29
freyedknot
useless poster

definately a west branch musky shad there. what do you do with all those baits? where some pics of fish tigger has been catching from that new lund?? tell him the nite bite is on!
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #30
vc1111

Freyed, I usually give most of them away as I build new ones. I gave away most of what I made last year already, so I've got to scramble to get some done for this year. I like to build variations of what is commercially available and of what I've built previously. I'm especially trying to improve on the jerkbaits that are available to buy because I enjoy catching muskies with jerkbaits an awful lot.

Sounds like you've done well at West Branch with similar baits. What baits do you favor for West Branch?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #31
lazy

Beautiful work as always VC.

Dallas
Old 04-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #32
vc1111

Thanks, Dallas. You been out fishing yet?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #33
lazy

I was able to get out for a few hours last Tuesday VC, no luck. Water at CC is still in the low 50’s and visibility is not very good due to the rain we’ve had; but it was good just to be on the water again. Hopefully you have had better luck.

Dallas
Old 04-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #34
vc1111

This one is a weighted jerkbait/glider. I gave it crazy eyes and a watercolor effect for the black highlight stripes:

Tackle Making
Tackle Making
Tackle Making
Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #35
vc1111

Here's a rebel insurgent mutant pregnant shad bait with a tiny bit of gold glitter down the lateral line:
Tackle Making
Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
lazy

VC every time I think you can’t do any better you come with some like this. Great work.

Dallas
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
ustoo2000
ustoo2000

Default Nice Paint

It does not look like these are the first lures you have painted. How did you get started?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #38
fugarwi7
Lumberjack

Default You are one sick dude!

Sick..all I can say is sick...love the eyes on your glider and the black highlight finish is just plain sick...I want to get into the lure building game and you are certainly an inspiration to us wanna-be's...next fall/winter I will be in touch with you to get a head start on this hobby (could be a profession in your case though)!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #39
ThunderHawk7

VC,

That is all some real nice work!!!! Wow

Hawk
ThunderHawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #40
vc1111

Thanks, guys.

Fugawari, when you're ready, you send me an email and I'll gladly show you anything and everything that I can. I don't do this for a profession; in fact, I'm learning as I go. I knew very little about power tools before I started, but I just keep trying different things and reading and thinking about how to make the carving easier and cuts more accurate, etc.

ustoo2000, I started, not last summer, but the summer before using spray cans. A few months later, I bought a cheap airbrush. I already had a compressor in the garage. Eventually, I started buying other power tools to make the carving and shaping easier. I read all that I could and visited other internet sites about building baits. Its very much an underground thing. There are no magazines and very few books about this so I had to hunt around a lot to get info on supplies, etc.

The main reason I started was to have more control over the baits I present when musky fishing. Often the commercially made baits come in limited colors and sizes. I pay a lot of attention to what the muskies do and I was always wondering if a larger or smaller bait would have caused a "follow" to become a strike, or maybe just a different color. We've all seen how well certain colors and sizes seem to work on one lake versus another. So that's the way I got involved in this madness.

My brother is an artist (for a living) and he's showed me how to use an airbrush as far as the basics. From there I painted whenever I could, I study the baits that I like and look at the shapes and colors that produce muskies for me on my local waters. Eventually I bought a better airbrush. Its an Iwata HP-C, if you're interested, and I highly recommend it for this stuff; makes the painting easier and more accurate.

You will not save a nickel on this hobby unless you make a lot of baits and sell them (which does not interest me), but it has given me hours of pleasure, I've caught an awful lot of muskies in the last three years with my own baits, and I've made a lot friends, like Tigger and BigDaddy300 along the way, which is the best part.

I welcome any question that you guys have. I enjoy writing and talking about this stuff almost as much as using it and giving the baits to friends along the way.

For what its worth, I hooked up on a real pig of a musky on Sunday at Leesville on this bait:

Tackle Making

He smashed it while we were trolling a steep breakline and he behaved very badly. He was not pleased and he let me know as soon as the rod loaded up and I grabbed it from the rod-holder...He was making those massive head shakes as he headed for the deeper water. About all I could do was hang on as he ripped drag at will; then suddenly launched out of the water across the other three lines we had out, and managed to get loose.

I was heart-broken for a few minutes, but those big dudes have all that poundage and torque and they sometimes get off somehow despite all those hooks. They do have an awfully boney mouth and sometimes the hooks just don't seem to find a sweet spot.

However, I was pumped that that particular bait performed because I built it with Leesville in mind. I've know of a lot of muskies on that lake that have been boated on Magnum Hot-n-Tots, so I build it with that in mind. At any rate, I was very pumped that a mid-40's fish ate that bait, when nothing else produced even a follow or a rip that day. Good sign, hopefully. And...

...naturally, I'm already building a few more bigger ones for the later season, ASAP:
Tackle Making