Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

The Hamilton Dam

Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
GarrettMyers

Default The Hamilton Dam

I've only fished the lower Hamilton dam once, just a couple weeks ago. A friend of mine was able to get out shortly today to the upper dam. He didn't land anything, but had a decent sized fish on for about 10 seconds. I had always been under the impression that the lower dam was a lot better. Not that one fishing trip determines much, but just curious if what I thought was correct. It's hard enough to catch fish in the winter without making pointless trips. Any thoughts?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by GarrettMyers; 01-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.
GarrettMyers is online now   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
oldstinkyguy

In Hamilton! I like the lower dam better now that they have spent all summer at the upper one moving the gravel back and forth.

Last edited by oldstinkyguy; 01-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.
oldstinkyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
GarrettMyers

I have been doing a ton of fishing and scouting this winter, got out on the Ohio yesterday actually. I don't think my post was very clear. Just trying to get some talk about the dams started. I'm going to head back out that way in a few days.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 9

Iíve caught a lot of fish at the B Street Dam (AKA Old Dam, AKA Upper Dam, AKA Two Mile Dam) but I havenít been there much since the gravel company started digging. Before the digging it was a toss up as to which I liked better, itís roughly 3 miles from my house to either one. I havenít caught any sauger there since the Lower Dam was built, but right by the Black Street Bridge is the first place I ever caught one, also the first place I heard the word Sauger. There are some good people there but the B Street Dam is not in the friendliest of neighborhoods by any stretch, thereís a higher Yayhoo factor there than at the Lower DamÖespecially to those not used to Hamilton cultureÖLOL. The fishing can be good there though but over the last two or three years itís looked different every time Iíve been. Hopefully when theyíre finished, the gravel company leaves a big deep hole.
The Lower Dam is often referred to as the New Dam by locals, but itís been there since 1989/90Önot very new.
Thereís another Dam by the Rentschler Forrest but access to the downstream side is difficult at best and itís on private property. Those of you looking on Google Maps, Lake Lindsay & Clearwater Lakes are also private.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
GarrettMyers

Looks like water levels are on the rise. Do the GMR saugeye come out of Indian Lake? I know there seems to be some mystery as to what is a sauger/eye sometimes and where some of the saugeyes come from in general... So I'm guessing there isn't a real clear answer.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettMyers View Post
Looks like water levels are on the rise. Do the GMR saugeye come out of Indian Lake? I know there seems to be some mystery as to what is a sauger/eye sometimes and where some of the saugeyes come from in general... So I'm guessing there isn't a real clear answer.
Indian Lake, Lake Laramie and Acton Lake are stocked with saugeyes that find their way to the GMR. CJ Brown is stocked with walleyes that could possibly find their way to the GMR via the Mad River. Sauger are native to the GMR. The ODNR used to stock saugeye in the GMR but stopped because they found that not all saugeyes are sterile, they donít want to damage the sauger gene pool. There are a lot of people that think that saugeyes do spawn or have spawned downstream of the lower dam.

I've posted this link on other threads but here it is again.

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/corey20021.html
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
kingofamberley

I bet the saugeye do reproduce. I've seen a lot of them caught (and kept) in the GMR for them to all have escaped from reservoirs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
oldstinkyguy

Wait your going to mention damage to the gene pool in a thread about the Hamilton! dam????

thats awesome. I was thinking of a thread of predictions of things that will happen this year at the Hamilton! dam. In the last year we had a hooker, a foot, a dead guy that came to life, a couple that didn't, and the guy that was trying to charge people to fish off the platform. And my two wildest catches of the year, a plastic lawn mower and a pair of ladies unmentionables.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
oldstinkyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandrews View Post
Indian Lake, Lake Laramie and Acton Lake are stocked with saugeyes that find their way to the GMR. CJ Brown is stocked with walleyes that could possibly find their way to the GMR via the Mad River. Sauger are native to the GMR. The ODNR used to stock saugeye in the GMR but stopped because they found that not all saugeyes are sterile, they donít want to damage the sauger gene pool. There are a lot of people that think that saugeyes do spawn or have spawned downstream of the lower dam.

I've posted this link on other threads but here it is again.

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/corey20021.html
good stuff, thanks. On the bottom of the Fish Ohio page it lists top waters for producing Fish Ohio fish and the GMR is fourth in the state for saugeye and the LMR 2nd for sauger, thats pretty impressive.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
fisherFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstinkyguy View Post
Wait your going to mention damage to the gene pool in a thread about the Hamilton! dam????

thats awesome. I was thinking of a thread of predictions of things that will happen this year at the Hamilton! dam. In the last year we had a hooker, a foot, a dead guy that came to life, a couple that didn't, and the guy that was trying to charge people to fish off the platform. And my two wildest catches of the year, a plastic lawn mower and a pair of ladies unmentionables.
A foot...is that place as weird as everyone says?

fisherFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherfourlife View Post
A foot...is that place as weird as everyone says?

Actually the severed foot was found in Middletown, BUT there's probably a severed foot or two somewhere at the lower dam.

Last edited by Dandrews; 01-10-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Quote:
The irony struck me too.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Kickinbass91
Bass tracker

Heck you never know what you could reel in with some of the weirdos that are down by the river kinda creepy to think about

Kickinbass91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Quote:
I was thinking of a thread of predictions of things that will happen this year at the Hamilton! dam.
There were alligators found in the GMR in Hamilton in í09 & í11. Iím guessing that thereís a possibility of one turning up in í13, so keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...stewater-plant

http://www.pulsejournal.com/news/new...ilton-1/nM29D/
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
kingofamberley

Is there an advisory for alligators?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
fisherFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandrews View Post
Actually the severed foot was found in Middletown, BUT there's probably a severed foot or two somewhere at the lower dam.
So you didn't personally stumble upon a foot then? Creepy either way

fisherFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
E_Lin
OUTSTANDING

Instead of predicting what might be found there, (Still an awesome thread idea...) maybe we should set up some kind of pool, or "prize" to award at the end of 2013 to the OGF member who finds the oddest or creepiest thing while fishing in or around Hamilton? No fair planting your own body parts so you can find them later... I hope no one cheats...

I really, really hope no one cheats...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
trailbreaker
fish fear me

i was told at the whole sale bait in hamilton... the second dam that was built is better than the old one i might hit it sometime
trailbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
imalt
Banned

The lower dam is always interesting. I don't fish it that much but I always find something interesting. I have seen a lot of dead cats floating. If I ever catch a body part I am done though. I don't know if the guy is still on here but there used to be a guy on ogf that hooked a dead body two different times on the lmr. I think I would be done with fishing if that happened to me.
imalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
co-angler

It has been my experience that the lower dam has been the best kept secret for champion quality trophy fish of dozens of variety. Until lately, only a chosen few were aware of the potential. It is for this reason alone that you should steer clear of the LMR. Most guys " in the know" are already keen to this and no longer waste time fishing the little sewage ditch aka the LMR. But please, keep the lower dam if the GMR a secret if you are able. If you see a guy in an ElmerFudd style hat fishing there then you will have confirmation that my words are true!