Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Fall fishing approaches, LMR?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
zuelkek

Default Fall fishing approaches, LMR?

In the past, like forever, when it gets too cold to wade, fishing has been over for me. The water goes clear toward the end of September, and it seemed that the bite was through. I'm hearing different on this forum. How do you go after the smallies and others in October and November? Baits different? Do you slow it down? Fish from the bank? (???) Canoes or yaks? Or don waders and plunge in, or shiver through it? I can't fish like the summer because of work schedules that tie me up, but unlike in years past, I'm having a serious problem this year putting the season behind me. I'll be going out on weekends this fall. Any basic tips?
zuelkek is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
oldstinkyguy

Far and away the best time of the year to catch a really nice smallmouth. As the water cools they will really turn on but of course you have to suffer thru the falling leaves which some mornings on the LMR they can foul seemingly every cast. Often you can still nail smallmouth shallow it just has to be close to deep water. The first riffle up from a really deep hole is often killer. Plus you can catch sauger all winter. That last week or so before the water gets too cold to catch many smallmouth is when I usually catch my best smllie of the year. The cooler it gets the slower you fish, as the water first cools things like inline spinners and crankbaits work great then grubs and tubes or a hair jig tipped with a minnow. October is my favorite time of the year, bowhunting whitetails and catching smallies....
Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
HOUSE
WAREHOUSE

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 4

I was catching fish last year well into November before I quit for the year, but I was back at it on New Year's Day and caught one. Don't mix up Fall fishing with Winter fishing, though. This is the prime feeding time, so as the water temperatures cool into the 60's the fish will actually feed quite actively, so I'm throwing a lot of minnow-style stickbaits and crankbaits. Once water hits the 50's then I think it's time to slow down as the baitfish will probably be long gone by then.

As to wading and what not, that's up to you. It's not always the early bird that catches the worm as much as the one craziest enough to go out in uncomfortable weather.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
zuelkek

But you don't get out in the water then, do you?

WAREHOUSE: I think you answered my question. Depends on how cold it is, I think!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Matulemj

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

I was wading in Plattsburgh in November last year when the early morning brought on weather that was in the negatives. Just put on the appropriate clothing and I think you'll be surprised how warm you'll stay.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Matulemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
BassAddict83

I've waded in water that was in the low 50's. If you bundle up pretty good under your waders it's not too bad.

It's like Norman Mclane says in A River Runs Through It... "A fisherman cannot catch a fish if he is too scared to go where the fish are."
BassAddict83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
kingofamberley

I've never owned waders because I am cheap (lol) but I have waterproof goretex boots that are good for hiking down the shoreline. When the temperature goes down, the poison ivy and other undergrowth fades away, so it's not too bad. If you throw a rooster tail when the temp starts to go down, you will kill it with the smallmouth, white bass, sauger, pretty much anything that swims.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
zuelkek

I'm 6'6", but I expect they make chest waders that fit somebody tall as me. I have a birthday coming up in 3 weeks, I just figured out the hints I'll be dropping to my wife.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
9Left

yea, fall and colder weather.....GREAT SMALLIE FISHING!! Dont let the cold temps scare ya away!
9Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
imalt
Banned

just get some neoprene waders. You should be able to find some for under 70.00 and you will be good to go.
imalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
sporto

A good pair of neoprene waders will keep you warm all winter long, just use good judgement and take extra precautions in the winter, I let someone know where I'm at and ALWAYS have dry clothes available in case I take a header....
sporto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuelkek View Post
I'm 6'6", but I expect they make chest waders that fit somebody tall as me. I have a birthday coming up in 3 weeks, I just figured out the hints I'll be dropping to my wife.
Yes they do make waders that will fit you; Iím a big guy but not quite as tall as you though. I have neoprene and breathables; Neoprenes are usually less expensive, the breathables are much more comfortable for me, unless itís really cold out the neoprenes are just too hot for me. I bundle up under the breathables in the early spring & late fall and Iím fine
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Dandrews

Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporto View Post
A good pair of neoprene waders will keep you warm all winter long, just use good judgement and take extra precautions in the winter, I let someone know where I'm at and ALWAYS have dry clothes available in case I take a header....
I took an unexpected (and very cold) swim in early April 2010. It put and abrupt end to a very fun trip on 4 Mile Creek. FELT SOLES AND MUD DO NOT MIX!! My waders didn't fill completely but they had a lot of water in them. I really didn't feel cold until 1/2 way back to the car, I think the adrenaline and endorphins were wearing off at that point.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
SMBHooker

Stay home watch football . . . I had 3 trips to the river last year back to back at the tail end of October with little to show for it.

I only landed one 17"er each trip out, sooo not worth it.
The smallmouth hibernate starting the first day off fall, concentrate your efforts on your fantasy football team.
SMBHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
zuelkek

Ha! Reading you loud and clear. I'll be home--ahem!--constantly "raking leaves" all through October. (In my new neoprene waders...)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
acklac7
S.S.

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

Some of my best days have come the last week of October through the 2nd week of November. Im talking 40-50 fish in a couple hours.

Ohio: The Iroquoian word for "Beautiful River"

True Ohio Sportsmen Should Release Stream/River Smallmouth

A.J.
acklac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Mason52

Check out the picture I took on 12/31/2010 while out on Caesar Creek lake fishing. I like to fish all year but I think skiing is a Summer sport IMO
Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports

If you look closely you can see two duck hunters standing in front of a blind on the shore about half way between the boat and the uummm skier. To funny
Mason52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
montagc
Always an inch shy

Zuelke, if you wanna borrow a pair of neoprene waders, you can try mine. They haven't gotten much use lately.

I like fishing cold weather a lot. Some of my best fish and most memorable moments came in the winter months. Perhaps you could try hitting a tailwater for trout. Cumberland isn't far.

Perhaps a cold weather trip will inspire a great piece of writing. Hemingway didn't fish tailwaters, but we have to make do.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
4 Smallmouth Bass (17"); 1 Spotted Bass; 1 Largemouth Bass; 1 Rock Bass; 1 White Bass; 2 Hybrid striped Bass; 2 Sauger; 6 Channel Catfish (23"), 10 Black Crappie (11.5"), 42 Bluegill; 18 Longear Sunfish; 5 Green Sunfish; 5 Drum; 1 White Sucker; 2 Redhorse; 2 Mooneye
montagc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
ARReflections
A Fisherman

I would take the previous poster up on those waders and then if you like them then invest in a pair of breathable as mentioned earlier. Nice to use waders all year long and bundle up or down accordingly. Waders have allowed me to access areas previously off limits. Oh, and the smallie bite in October is NICE.
Mark 1:17
ARReflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
inrll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARReflections View Post
I would take the previous poster up on those waders and then if you like them then invest in a pair of breathable as mentioned earlier. Nice to use waders all year long and bundle up or down accordingly. Waders have allowed me to access areas previously off limits. Oh, and the smallie bite in October is NICE.
I was thinking the same exact thing about the breathable waders. They are the way to go in my opinion.

My biggest fish have come in the spring and fall. Hell last year I was wading waist deep while there was a hard frost on the ground and caught my PB smallie!
inrll is offline   Reply With Quote