Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Sports Talk >

RG3 to the Redskins

Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Snakecharmer

Default RG3 to the Redskins

The Redskins traded this years #1 and two future #1's and a #2 round pick to move to the second overall pick in the draft where they will obtain RG3.

Much too rich for the Browns. That might even be too rich for Aaron Rodgers but I'd do that.

What I hope happens is that Kalil falls to the Browns and St. Louis trades the #6 overall and their second round pick this year or a 1st next year for the Browns #4 overall...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/w...n-bound-030912

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
ohiotuber

I'm with you. That's way too much to give up for a single player. We'll see what happens in free agency, but I think the Browns should, and probably will, trade down. I trust Heckert, so it's going to be an interesting ride through the draft.
Mike
ohiotuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
BassCrazy

Snyder is like a kid in a candy store with 50 million at his disposal. He doesn't endear himself to other owners with his outlandish deals. It sets a bad precedent and jacks up the baseline numbers on similar deals in future years. The Redskins win the offseason every year, and so this year is no different. I'm in agreement with Snake and Otuber, in Heckert I trust. By all accounts, Griffin is intelligent, rare athletically and a great person from a solid family. But will he be a great QB? Will he truly be a pass first QB who feels pressure and is tough as nails in the face of a blitz or will he bail a second or two early because he can outrun the 'D'? Maybe or maybe not, but I'm not risking the teams next 3 years of 1st round picks to bet on any player. In the NFL, the odds for injury-free success don't support that, especially in Washington with that crummy offensive line.

If they don't satisfy their QB need this season, continue to solidify the team around McCoy and give him another year, trade back if the opportunity presents itself and position to get a QB next year.

One player doesn't make the franchise. I don't care what the talking heads on ESPN and all the draft sites say. I'll say it again, Courtney Upshaw would look great at RDE if the Browns can trade back from 4 for a package. I love Blackmon, but there are a few other good receivers in the draft.

GO BROWNS!
BassCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
papaperch

There are plenty of reasons why the Browns are not been able to compete since their return to the league. This off -season will go a long way to continue their ineptness.

Anyone suggesting that Colt McCoy at QB is going to accomplish anything is beyond me. The only thing it will prove , even to his parents, that he does not belong in the NFL. I have not seen ONE throw that Colt has made that would make me think any different. Coaches and a supporting staff can bring the talent out in a QB. But when the talent is not there you can not invent it.

if football could be expressed in algebraic terms B. Quinn = C. McCoy.

RGIII should have been gambled on. Regardless of cost. Always playing it SAFE has got the Browns to where they are today. Shanahan is gambling his career at Washington on this kid. He also coached a guy named Elway. Some of my fellow Browns fans may remember him. If RGIII was worth the price to Shanahan he should have been worth that to us.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
RBoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaperch View Post
There are plenty of reasons why the Browns are not been able to compete since their return to the league. This off -season will go a long way to continue their ineptness.

Anyone suggesting that Colt McCoy at QB is going to accomplish anything is beyond me. The only thing it will prove , even to his parents, that he does not belong in the NFL. I have not seen ONE throw that Colt has made that would make me think any different. Coaches and a supporting staff can bring the talent out in a QB. But when the talent is not there you can not invent it.

if football could be expressed in algebraic terms B. Quinn = C. McCoy.

RGIII should have been gambled on. Regardless of cost. Always playing it SAFE has got the Browns to where they are today. Shanahan is gambling his career at Washington on this kid. He also coached a guy named Elway. Some of my fellow Browns fans may remember him. If RGIII was worth the price to Shanahan he should have been worth that to us.
Not shannahan .... The only person responsible for draft picks is the GM that was Dan Snyders doing.... I think it was to much of a risk also.... No reason to throw away all those first rounders and a second this year when Cleveland has allot more needs than just QB.... Trade back and take tannehill or take cousins in a later round..... No need to blow the future up over a prospect

-Ryan Boyer
RBoyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Steel Cranium

Quote:
RGIII should have been gambled on Regardless of cost. Always playing it SAFE has got the Browns to where they are today. Shanahan is gambling his career at Washington on this kid. He also coached a guy named Elway. Some of my fellow Browns fans may remember him. If RGIII was worth the price to Shanahan he should have been worth that to us.
We'll see how DC likes the "cost" if things don't go well. This could end up on the same scale as the Cavs trading their future away in the mid-80s that nearly destroyed the franchise (thanks for the extra picks, NBA league front office).

It is a huge gamble for the 'Skins. If RG-III turns out to be more Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell than Mike Vick (both considered "can't miss" in pre-draft talks), they have guaranteed cellar-dweller status for the next half decade. Two number ones and a number two to move up four positions in the draft? That's pricey. I'm happy that they outbid the Browns, who were offering (at least) their two #1s this year to move up two. Now the Brownies will get (at least) the 2nd best non-QB player in the draft with another pick later in the first to get a quality D-line or O-line player - or two skill position players = receiver and a running back. Two 1sts provide the ability to take a chance of a first round RB.

This might be the move that finally destroys the Redskins front office for good. For them, I hope that RG-III a) doesn't suck, b) doesn't get hurt, and c) can take the DC media pressure if a) and/or b) happens.

I'll take Colt with improvements in the skill positions with first rounders the next two years over a single-QB improvement without any first-rounders the next two years (and a missing second-round). I wonder what type of lineman the 'Skins will have available mid-draft to protect their prize that only cost three-years of first round selections?
Steel Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
papaperch

Ok you guys are right the Browns are doing so good. I don't know even why I question their strategy. I didn't know 4-12 was something to be proud about silly me.

i guess being the laughing stock of the NFL and especially in our own division is under rated and we should all sit back and revel in its popularity.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
RBoyer

Quote:
Ok you guys are right the Browns are doing so good. I don't know even why I question their strategy. I didn't know 4-12 was something to be proud about silly me.

i guess being the laughing stock of the NFL and especially in our own division is under rated and we should all sit back and revel in its popularity.
Lol I never said they were doing well! .... But would you have given up all those picks on vince young, Matt leinart, Jamarcus or, mark sanchez? Thats just SOME of the recent first rd qb busts. Not that griffin won't but more productive than them but theres a good possibility he won't I understand he had an impressive 40 time but he is a qb not a wr not a rb. The browns have stacked up a ton of picks this season and they need them and they will need future first rounders if they want to continue to build a foundation.

if Cleveland traded all those picks for Griffin by the time they got the rest of the pieces needed to win a superbowl he would be a free agent and most likely going elsewhere

-Ryan Boyer
Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
lordofthepunks

stockpiling picks doesnt mean a dam thing if the players you select are average or terrible.

if you are conservative and JUST look at heckerts draft history here, he has yet to select one impact player, not one single game changer. do you think magically, all those extra picks are going to be probowlers even though he has yet to get a player that looks like a probowler in 2 drafts?

i would trade a 1000 role players for 1 difference maker at qb. so far, all we have is a bunch of dudes that may or may not start for a contender. we will never get out of ineptitude if we continue to play it safe and do whatever we can to not draft a bust.

we never draft the best player we can get, we draft the safest player... its rather pathetic.
lordofthepunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
papaperch

Lots of experts carped about the Giants giving up way too much for Eli Manning. I remember one tyro saying the only thing Eli had in common with Peyton was their last name.

Last I looked Eli 2 Super Bowl wins Peyton has 1.

Now I ask you again. Did the Giants give up too much for Eli ? Rarely does this kind of talent become available. Browns fans don't even remember what a real QB looks like.

Think of a QB with Kosars mind , arm strength of Testaverde and mobility that is hard to to compare to anyone I've seen, plus flat out fast. I too usually am skeptical of the latest and greatest. But this kid was worth the gamble. anyone not seeing this doesn't know that much about QB's.

Also believe me, Washingtons GM did this with the full co-operation of Shanahan. No one can guarantee RGIII will be a franchise QB. But if I get four of a kind in poker. I am not going to play like everyone else has a straight flush. There are moments in Texas Hold-Em when it makes complete sense to go ALL-IN. This was one of those moments .and our team was bluffed out. Bitter pill to swallow but its the truth.

No draftee can be a royal straight flush. But with all RGIII brings to the table he should have been regarded as at least 4 of a kind.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
lordofthepunks

Quote:
Lots of experts carped about the Giants giving up way too much for Eli Manning. I remember one tyro saying the only thing Eli had in common with Peyton was their last name.

Last I looked Eli 2 Super Bowl wins Peyton has 1.

Now I ask you again. Did the Giants give up too much for Eli ? Rarely does this kind of talent become available. Browns fans don't even remember what a real QB looks like.

Think of a QB with Kosars mind , arm strength of Testaverde and mobility that is hard to to compare to anyone I've seen, plus flat out fast. I too usually am skeptical of the latest and greatest. But this kid was worth the gamble. anyone not seeing this doesn't know that much about QB's.

Also believe me, Washingtons GM did this with the full co-operation of Shanahan. No one can guarantee RGIII will be a franchise QB. But if I get four of a kind in poker. I am not going to play like everyone else has a straight flush. There are moments in Texas Hold-Em when it makes complete sense to go ALL-IN. This was one of those moments .and our team was bluffed out. Bitter pill to swallow but its the truth.

No draftee can be a royal straight flush. But with all RGIII brings to the table he should have been regarded as at least 4 of a kind.
and we will end up with 1 or 2 pairs after this entire draft if it goes anything like the previous 12... what a joke

their isnt a gm in this entire world who wouldnt trade ANY combination of 5 players on the current browns roster that heckert has drafted for rgIII ... yet somehow these picks he is about to make are like gold.

you cant win without difference makers. EVERY team has role players, they are interchangeable throughout the league. the difference between good teams and terrible teams are difference makers and we have zero... and we will draft a couple of more non difference makers in this draft and we might be lucky to win 5 games next season.

whats new?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
RBoyer

The giants had other talent in NY when Eli was drafted.... And that's one instance where the gamble paid off... Every season teams gamble on draft picks without trading away future picks but that's not the point the point is why get him when he has little to no one to throw to and no draft picks to get him a weapon? So he can be flushed out of the pocket and run every down wasting the talent he may or may not have throwing?

This is only Heckerts second season drafting for the browns. Prior to that he was drafting for Philly and he drafted a plethora of talent there.... Lesean McCoy and Desean Jackson leading the pack.... So before you question draft strategy why not wait and see how he picks and how his picks produce?

-Ryan Boyer
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
RBoyer

Jabaal Sheard had a pretty good rookie season by the way 55 tackles 5 forced fumbles 8.5 sacks..... Not bad for 2nd round pick at defensive end! Not to mention he was in quarterbacks faces quite a bit.... Pretty impressive when he had little tackle help!

-Ryan Boyer
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
fishingguy
The Inferior Fisherman

Look at the bright side, we won't have to ask Holmgren for playoff tickets anytime soon. Browns stadium will be a ghost town in the second halves of games this year. Another year of Mccoy and a cast of nobody's. Good luck with free agency. Hey, maybe we can get that right tackle now. Factory of sadness lives on, or is it the curse of art modell?
fishingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
lordofthepunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBoyer View Post
Jabaal Sheard had a pretty good rookie season by the way 55 tackles 5 forced fumbles 8.5 sacks..... Not bad for 2nd round pick at defensive end! Not to mention he was in quarterbacks faces quite a bit.... Pretty impressive when he had little tackle help!

-Ryan Boyer
not dissing on sheard, had a solid rookie season but when you say "little tackle help" you are clearly showing how little you watched the browns.

rubin and taylor are considered by most to be the best tackle duo the browns have had in years. both were ranked among the top at their position this season. i only bash the taylor pick because he plays a position that is not an impact position. he plays a role, middle stuffer.

as for heckert, this is his 3rd draft with the browns....
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Snakecharmer

Maybe the Browns wil go with Ryan Tannehill who some scouts have compared to Big Ben (w/o the girl problems.) Raw, athletic,strong arm.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Snakecharmer

With the Vikings cutting 2 o-line men today ( Hutchison) they look to be a lock for Kalil. Still hope the Browns and Rams can swap 4 and 6 and get something good.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
jcustunner24

Send a message via AIM to jcustunner24 Send a message via Yahoo to jcustunner24

I'm just about done commenting on Browns threads because everyone's opinions are so drastic that it gets tiring. RG3 is NOT three first rounders good. You ALL know that. There are very few players who pan out at that price. I think he could be good and maybe even very good, but the Browns lack talent in so many places that giving up that much would be completely absurd.

My goal all along has been to sign Flynn (haters gonna hate), draft Blackmon, and make the team better.

RGIII throwing to former Kent State QBs does not excite me.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
RBoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthepunks View Post
not dissing on sheard, had a solid rookie season but when you say "little tackle help" you are clearly showing how little you watched the browns.

rubin and taylor are considered by most to be the best tackle duo the browns have had in years. both were ranked among the top at their position this season. i only bash the taylor pick because he plays a position that is not an impact position. he plays a role, middle stuffer.

as for heckert, this is his 3rd draft with the browns....
Maybe best browns have have had but not even close to best in league! And where is the lb help?

-Ryan Boyer
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
RBoyer

Your right about Heckert this is his third for the browns but just to let you know about Heckert he drafted 10 pro bowlers over there in Philly !

-Ryan Boyer