Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Boats and Motors >

2006 Lund Transom Issues

Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
capt j-rod

Default 2006 Lund Transom Issues

Just a heads up guys. My buddy and I just bought a 2006 20' Alaskan. 2/3 of the transom was completely gone. Looked like potting soil rather than plywood. If you own a lund you should check under the aluminum cap. Chances are it wasn't sealed and it is gone. Easy fix, new transom this time it will be marine wood sealed in west systems epoxy and my grandchildren will enjoy it.
Rather disappointing that the #1 super aluminum boat mfg can't spring for quality materials or some 5200. Yes it was probably under warranty if you want to wait 12 weeks (entire spring walleye season) and you want to have the same problem in 5 years. Be sure to check yours. They didn't seal any of the bolts or the cap. I guess $20 worth of 5200 is not in the purchase price of $30k.
capt j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
freyedknot
useless poster

hard to believe a lund that bad already, could the transom have been drilled for a kicker or other add ons and not sealed properly? either way i feel your pain.
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

Seems I'm hearing more and more complaints on Lunds these days. I've heard numerous rotting transom stories lately.
Hetfieldinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
capt j-rod

transducer holes were sealed. Motor holes were sealed. ALL Factory through hull penetrations went unsealed. entire transom cap was wet. hopefully a new owner will catch this and seal theirs before the rot monsters set in.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Shortdrift

Lund quality as well as gaurantee service has been on a downhill slope since Brunswick purchased it. I understand that they have also revised the stringer system which was the heart of the hull toughness. Brunswick is a motor company ( Mercury ) and I understand that all the Merc's 70HP and under are now manufactured in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guessed it,,,,,,,,CHINA.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Whaler
Whaler

My buddy had to replace the wood in his 18 foot Slyvan transom two years ago. It was rotting and allowing the transom to flex. He did it himslef and replaced it with marine plywood which he sealed. It is fine now.
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
bluegilla killa

better check out the floor too while your at it!
bluegilla killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
bountyhunter

Default lund

WOW!! my 1993 lund proV is solid as a rock . theres a hole lot of motor back there . glad you found your problem before it ripped loose.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
bluegilla killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
WOW!! my 1993 lund proV is solid as a rock . theres a hole lot of motor back there . glad you found your problem before it ripped loose.
garage kept? min hrs? glad you have had good luck bud!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
da-animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortdrift View Post
Lund quality as well as gaurantee service has been on a downhill slope since Brunswick purchased it. I understand that they have also revised the stringer system which was the heart of the hull toughness. Brunswick is a motor company ( Mercury ) and I understand that all the Merc's 70HP and under are now manufactured in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guessed it,,,,,,,,CHINA.
as far as i know 40hp and under mercs are made by tohatsu, which are made by nissan.....100 percent japanese-these are the new 4 strokes
da-animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

It's the other way around. Nissan does not make any motors. They put their name on Tohatsu motors. Any Mercury motor 30 hp and less is made by Tohatsu. The 40, 50, and 60hp mercury motors are made in their factory in China. Everything over 60 hp is manufactured in their Wisconsin plant.
Hetfieldinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Shortdrift

Default Different times

Quote:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Quality boat back then. That was "BB" "Before Brunswick"
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
capt j-rod

Sorry guys been in the garage for obvious reasons. Lund design quality is still there. Lund installation and assembly practices are s$%t. None of the screws, bolts, or scupper tubes were sealed. Cheap non-marine plywood is used throughout. Very dissapointing. Labor costs are exactly the same, this is just nickel dime corporate american BS. our new transom is white oak, soaked in CPES penetrating epoxy, sandwiched and glued together with 3m 5200, All penetrations are properly sealed. 2 additional 1/4" thick aluminum plates were put behind the motor and across the transom well to tie it all together. Total materials bill... $300! Total labor... 2 guys 24 hours each! This could all be prevented at the factory for $150. Anyone paying $30,000 for this rig would gladly pay $30,150 not to have to replace a 5 year old transom. Warranty is of no value if they put the same cheap wood back in with the poor installation that they call "LUND QUALITY"!!! end of rant sorry!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
bountyhunter

Default motor

sounds like a first class repair your good to go, and you,ll not worry about that job coming apart. thanks for the great report on how to do it right.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
capt j-rod

Default Mercury motors...

Look up the term "yamamerc" this is what we actually have for power. It seems that the original 4-stroke mercury brunsjunk was so bad that they bought yamaha motors and put mercury lower units on until they got the verado right (still questionable). Smaller motors are tohatsu that really enjoy a great reputation. Always remember... Brunswick can't build a good bowling ball, what the hell makes you think they can design boats and motors? (yes I know I own one...)

Standing by for the satanic Boston Whaler cult members to begin the bashing of this thread.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Ozdog
O-Z-DOG

Wood rots, but an 06 dang that's crazy. I didn't realize Brunswick bought out Lund. They must have quite the corner on the market these days.

I like to buy old al boats & fix them, I always coat new wood with epoxy fiberglass resin, bullet proof.
Ozdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
K gonefishin
Eye Slayer

Send a message via MSN to K gonefishin

Quote:
How do you know for sure though? My buddy has a 95 tyee that had its transom completely rot out. Unless you pull you end caps and really see what's going on you have no idea. Do you think Lund used extra special care or processes while building YOUR boat? Don't think so.

Just another reason why to not buy a boat with wood in it.

Posted from my iPad
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
da-animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldinn View Post
It's the other way around. Nissan does not make any motors. They put their name on Tohatsu motors. Any Mercury motor 30 hp and less is made by Tohatsu. The 40, 50, and 60hp mercury motors are made in their factory in China. Everything over 60 hp is manufactured in their Wisconsin plant.
not to argue with you het, but it changed tohatsu is making mercury outboards 40 hp and less now, maybe it was 30hp and less before, but now its 40 hp and less, and did not know that nissan did not make outboards, i thought tohatsu put there stickers on nissan, guess i was wrong
da-animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
bluegilla killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt j-rod View Post
Sorry guys been in the garage for obvious reasons. Lund design quality is still there. Lund installation and assembly practices are s$%t. None of the screws, bolts, or scupper tubes were sealed. Cheap non-marine plywood is used throughout. Very dissapointing. Labor costs are exactly the same, this is just nickel dime corporate american BS. our new transom is white oak, soaked in CPES penetrating epoxy, sandwiched and glued together with 3m 5200, All penetrations are properly sealed. 2 additional 1/4" thick aluminum plates were put behind the motor and across the transom well to tie it all together. Total materials bill... $300! Total labor... 2 guys 24 hours each! This could all be prevented at the factory for $150. Anyone paying $30,000 for this rig would gladly pay $30,150 not to have to replace a 5 year old transom. Warranty is of no value if they put the same cheap wood back in with the poor installation that they call "LUND QUALITY"!!! end of rant sorry!
did you take any pics of this project? If so, it would be cool to see them posted for others to learn from , and i personally find boat projects rather interesting!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
capt j-rod

Default re:pics

sorry no pics. Saved a chunk to give to the local dealer that sold us a boat with a bad transom 2 weeks ago. I guess it happens, but this lund is no different than any other lund. Floors are good for now, but i figure they will be next. White oak is definately the way to go for structural. very rot resistant. I like to think we built a lifetime transom. i guess i was just dissapointed in lund for advertising one thing and manufacturing another.