Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

C.J. Brown Charity Fishing Tournament

Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
cjbrown

Thumbs up

I follow. I was under the assupmtion that the denial of a bank category was eliminating them all together. Looking forward to seeing all the details. As far as being a butthole, you're not, yet....lol Ask anyone that has put these things together. There are gonna be times and situations you will have to be King of the Aholes to shut people up or get them to understand, even your best friends will get a taste of that side. Looking like a nice venue for all.
cjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #42
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfldbassguy View Post
Let me repsond if I may on a few things....
A) Not advocating a different entry fee for the boaters and bankers. Should be the same IMO. Just saying it'd be nice to see a seperate category based on the two. That way the guy/gal on the bank wouldn't feel as if they're competing at a disadvantage against all the boaters in the event. It could be done with a little effort on the part of the organizers IMO. Could have a seperate prize for top boater and for top bank angler IMO.
B) 12 and under? How was that decided upon, what I mean is so a kid that's 13 is held to the adult standards of the tourny? Doesn't seem quite right to me but maybe I'm being a tad goofy. Don't know many 13yr olds that have jobs,cars,or more responsiblities than a 12yr old. Also why is it that a kid that's 13,14,15, whatever the age under 18 doesn't have to be accompanied by an adult? Are those that fall in that category considered more of a competent angler or more responsible? Also how are the organizers gonna make sure that the kids are 12 and under? Gonna have to provide a birth certificate or some other kind of proof or are they just gonna take it at face value as to what age the adult says they are?
C) Is there gonna be a penalty for bringing dead fish to the weigh in?
D) I'm not trying to be a butthole about things just think with more effort that this could turn out to be one hell of a event for all involved. I also understand that with it being the first one attempted there's gonna be glitches that need to be worked out and I'm just trying to throw out some ideas and questions for all those that are putting this thing together.

You really need to get "Outside" and do some fishing! The weather is warm and you should be able to get the Man-Card back! The Weather People have all predicted that Winter is over and we'll have above normal temps through the end of March!!
You are spending way too much time "Thinking"!.....RELAX!LOL

If Dale catches a fish, I'm gonna tell him good job, hand him 10 bucks, and take him over to the Marina Restaurant for a Burger and fries...as soon as Aaron catches a fish I'll be all over him too, getting my high fives etc....heck, I'll buy all our lunches....this is FOR FUN, that's it!!!

They'll have all the bugs worked out by tourney time...remember, this is FOR CHARITY and it will be THE FIRST EVENT, things will happen, things will go wrong, WE need to be patient, understanding, and be helpful of those who are trying to help the less fortunate!

Last edited by Intimidator; 02-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
You really need to get "Outside" and do some fishing! The weather is warm and you should be able to get the Man-Card back! The Weather People have all predicted that Winter is over and we'll have above normal temps through the end of March!!
You are spending way too much time "Thinking"!.....RELAX!LOL

If Dale catches a fish, I'm gonna tell him good job, hand him 10 bucks, and take him over to the Marina Restaurant for a Burger and fries...as soon as Aaron catches a fish I'll be all over him too, getting my high fives etc....heck, I'll buy all our lunches....this is FOR FUN, that's it!!!

They'll have all the bugs worked out by tourney time...remember, this is FOR CHARITY and it will be THE FIRST EVENT, things will happen, things will go wrong, WE need to be patient, understanding, and be helpful of those who are trying to help the less fortunate!
I'm completely relaxed at the moment actually. There's nothing wrong with thinking ( wish more people would do it more often)

You better hope Dale doesn't catch alot cause if you're handing $10 out for every fish you'll be totally broke when you head home.LOL I know it's for fun and for charity and that's the only reason I'd even consider fishing in it, to help others that need a little helping hand. The Salvation Army is an outstanding organization and I love what they do to help the community.

I know they'll have it worked out come tourny time and it's the first attempt to do it out there, just throwing ideas and thoughts out there. The only reason I keep harping on the boater vs bank aspect is because I look at it this way. If I decided to fish a tourny where I was allowed to be the Co angler/non boater I wouldn't be competeing against the whole field just the other Co anglers/ non boaters. That's the way I look at this whole no seperate category for the boaters and bank anglers. The entry fee should be the same IMO but there really ought to be seperate categories for the two.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
easytobeme03
CJ WolfPack

OK let me start by saying thank you to C.J.Brown for understanding. And thank You intimidator for the vote of confidence and reasoning.

Now Spfldbassguy,, you and I and brent did ALOT of bank fishing last year and we did pretty good all around. There were days that i took the boat out and never landed a fish , and trust me i worked the lake over. I personally dont feel that bank fishermen have an opportunity over or under that of boat fishermen. Now I DO agree that they hae the ability to fish more area than bank fishermen, that is just how C.J. is laid out , BUT the biggest fish i have ever caught in ANY species have been off the bank with the exception of catfish.

Now for the age limits , any person fishing under the age of 18 MUST be accomponied by an adult,whether the adult fishes or not is totally up to them, As for verifing that a child is the age of 12 or under , it's a charity event . If someone gets a 13 or possibly even a very young looking 14 year old in for free ,then that 13 or 14 year old will be limited to being able to win a prize that is suitable for someone 12 and under. Also the age category is still partially flexible, so cahnges may still be made there its not nailed down yet..

Your question on the dead fish penalty,, dead fish will NOT be counted for the tournament , period.

And as you say if more thought was put into this,,,, there is ALOT of thought and hard work being put into the whole process and procedures to make this a very attractive event for our home lake. You should know the dedication and time that myself and others have already put into C.J. as our home lake to make it a better place to fish and more enjoyable for anyone who wishes to spend time there. We hope that between the projects that have been done to improve the lake and an event such as an annual charity event for such a good cause will make C.J. a good spot for people to enjoy ,,, and we get to show off our lake and be proud of all the hard work that volunteers have put into our local fishery.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #45
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Don the only reason I brought up the dead fish thing was because I wanted to see how that was gonna be handled and it's being handled in the absolute correct way.

As for the age thing that was also only brought up to see what the thoughts on how it's gonna be handled. Any thoughts on say seperating it even further? Say 10 & under, 10-13, 13-17 with prizes appropiate to those age groups. If that could be achieved then IMO it could only make the event that much better.

Also I know full well that just because someone's in a boat doesn't guarantee them anymore success than somebody on the bank. So maybe me stating it would be a disadvantage was a little off. What I should've tried to impart was that the organizers might get even more anglers, entry fees, donations if there was a seperate category for the two. Some could be turned off by the fact that there isn't a seperate category for the two. If there can be prizes for the kids according to their age then why couldn't there be a prize awared to the top boaters that would be sorta specific to that and a prize awarded to the bankers sorta specific to them. Top boaters could get stuff geared to help them while on the boat ( marker bouys, rod holders,etc,etc), top bankers could get ( baskets, bait buckets, rod holders,etc,etc,etc) something geared to help their bank angling endeavors. Again not trying to be a butthole or anything just tossing out some thoughts on the subject.

I also understand that there's still time to hash out the details and I'm sure they will but the event organizers should strive to make this an event that leaves people wanting to do it again and possibly bring more folks into the fold. If it comes off as an event that wasn't as good as it coulda been then that could cause people not to want to do it again in the future. I know it's for charity and that's great as it should be but like I just stated, the better it's been organized and run the better off it'll be in the long term IMO when attempting to do it year after year. There's more than enough time to hash out the details and pull it all together which I have faith that it will be by the time the event rolls around in September.

I'm also positive that the event will help paint CJ in an even brighter light and that's a good thing for all that choose to spend time out there . Lotta hard work has been done out there and will be done with this years cover project and that should be celebrated by all IMO.

Last edited by spfldbassguy; 02-18-2012 at 03:04 AM.
spfldbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #46
easytobeme03
CJ WolfPack

[QUOTE=spfldbassguy;1359127]
I also understand that there's still time to hash out the details and I'm sure they will but the event organizers should strive to make this an event that leaves people wanting to do it again and possibly bring more folks into the fold.

I HOPE everyone understands that the rules that have been discussed on here so far have only been a SMALL part of the whole. The event is still under construction and alot more than has been revealed on here to this point was only to answer questions that have been brought up. You need to understand that the ones putting this together have fished for years and some have even fished tournament rounds . etc. Every theing is being considered and looked at for the benefit of the event. The ultimate goal is to make this a very enjoyable event for the community and a good event for the salvation army.

I also understand that you cant please everyone and we will not try to, we will do our best to make it an event that is worthwhile, and as fair as we can. Also understand this is not a B.A.S.S , Crappiethon, or an Ohio Walleye Club , sanctioned event, it is a Charity event with a tournament element for adults and a derby style element for the kids. We hope that it is enjoyable for all .
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #47
Lowell H Turner

Not to take sides but personally think that springfield bass guy DOES have a valid point as far as the kid`s catagories. I also would humbly "suggest" a "10 and under" class, otherwise likely the winners will mostly be teenagers. And would think that with MANY sets of cover (25 sets in 8 groups) deliberately set within relatively easy casting distance from shore (40` or less) I`m personally willing to take the boaters "head on"; am fairly confident we "bankers" can give them a serious "run for their money" in most of the catagories. Perhaps could find a way to maximize the canned goods donations; the local food pantries will certainly be GRATEFUL. Maybe do a "enter 1 catagory, donate 5 cans and get 1 catagory free', or donate 3 cans to enter a special prize catagory, something of that nature. Also just thought of something; will the event be advertised locally? The Springfield paper, perhaps Channel 7 (?) might be willing to help spread the word. Thank you for considering the "suggestions"...
Lowell H Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #48
easytobeme03
CJ WolfPack

The kids category will not be broken into different groups, and yes it will be advertised. The kids clas is 12 and UNDER so NO teenagers will win it

Last edited by easytobeme03; 02-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.
easytobeme03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #49
Intimidator
Banned

For those of you dreaming of winning this thing from the bank, may I suggest looking back thru the CJ thread and seeing how well we were all doing during this time!!
Remember the thermocline? Remember needing to fish before dawn and after dusk to catch anything other than small 'gills...the laydown cover provided NOTHING....everything was out in the main lake SUSPENDED! BETTER HAVE A HONEY_HOLE!!!!LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #50
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytobeme03 View Post
The kids category will not be broken into different groups, and yes it will be advertised. The kids clas is 12 and UNDER so NO teenagers will win it
Personally and this is just my opinion, that's a mistake. Don't mean to be so hard headed but it could only make the event better if the kids was broken down into different age categories. Don't understand why that can't be done since there's still plenty of time until the event. Furthermore I will forego fishing the event to volunteer my " services" to help pull that off if that's what's needed. Still have to disagree also that kids 13-17 will be held to the adult tourny style rules, they're still kids after all. Like stated earlier in a previous post, there could be prizes awarded to the different kids age categories suitable to the age groups.

Glad to hear that it will be advertised because that will only help bring in more entry fees and food donations which is a wonderful thing. Because in the end that's what this tourny is all about, helping a great organization and people having fun while doing so.

Last edited by spfldbassguy; 02-19-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #51
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell H Turner View Post
Not to take sides but personally think that springfield bass guy DOES have a valid point as far as the kid`s catagories. I also would humbly "suggest" a "10 and under" class, otherwise likely the winners will mostly be teenagers. And would think that with MANY sets of cover (25 sets in 8 groups) deliberately set within relatively easy casting distance from shore (40` or less) I`m personally willing to take the boaters "head on"; am fairly confident we "bankers" can give them a serious "run for their money" in most of the catagories. Perhaps could find a way to maximize the canned goods donations; the local food pantries will certainly be GRATEFUL. Maybe do a "enter 1 catagory, donate 5 cans and get 1 catagory free', or donate 3 cans to enter a special prize catagory, something of that nature. Also just thought of something; will the event be advertised locally? The Springfield paper, perhaps Channel 7 (?) might be willing to help spread the word. Thank you for considering the "suggestions"...
Thanks Lowell for seconding the idea of the different age category for the kids.

Have to disagree with you when it comes to the cover thing though. Didn't see many big Crappie, Walleye, Carp,or Cats caught from the banks last September. I did however land some very nice LM in September from the banks but I had to move around alot and fish in the total darkeness of the night time or before the sun was even remotely starting to come up.

Now Lowell I do believe you're onto something with your suggestions about the canned food donations. Hopefully the organizers will look into possibly doing something to that effect as well.

Last edited by spfldbassguy; 02-19-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #52
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Quote:
For those of you dreaming of winning this thing from the bank, may I suggest looking back thru the CJ thread and seeing how well we were all doing during this time!!
Remember the thermocline? Remember needing to fish before dawn and after dusk to catch anything other than small 'gills...the laydown cover provided NOTHING....everything was out in the main lake SUSPENDED! BETTER HAVE A HONEY_HOLE!!!!LOL
Now see there you went and (even if on accident,or jokingly) just backed up my original stance on the boater vs bank angler thing. The "bankers" will be at a disadvantage to those in a boat (99% of the time in September). There really isn't any "Honey Holes" that's fishable from the banks, just decent areas. Now someone could beat all the boaters from the banks but at that time of year it's unlikely to happen IMO. Except for the Carp it's all about the Shad come September and the shad aren't close to the banks at that time of year except for maybe when they get chased in that direction. Which in turns means that those on the banks will have to be in the exact locations at the exact right time. With that said if I do fish the event and not just do it for Aaron then I'll look forward to kicking your butt (atleast) from the bank while you're out on a boat.LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #53
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

I've got another suggestion for the event organizers, any thought been given to doing a seperate category for men and women? I'm sure there'll be some ladies that'll fish the event and it could be cool to have a seperate category for them as well with some prizes geared towards them ( IE ladies rods n reel combos, ladies tackle bags,etc,etc,etc).

Now for some more questions about the event.
1) Does people have to show up at 6 am and fish til the weigh in? Reason being those that are gonna bring their kids will have a hard time keeping them out there and interested for that length of time. Which leads me to the next question....
2) If those that do bring their kids to the event will they be able to weigh in their fish prior to 4pm and say leave for a little bit and then return for the weigh in results and the awarding of the prizes?
3) Same questions could also apply towards adults as well I guess. If I choose to fish it will I be able if I choose to weigh in my catch before 4pm? 10 hours is a long time to be out there and I'm getting old according to Brent and I might need to get in my required weekend nap somewhere in that time frame.LOL
4) Where will the official weigh in sight be located at? MBR? Marina?
5) If for some reason my little boy doesn't fish the tourny and I wanted to, is my kayak gonna be allowed to be used if I can outfit it with some sort of a livewell?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #54
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

This goes out to Don, event organizers, and anyone else that views some of my posts as me being a hard headed butthead about things, I offer my sincerest apology to anyone that might have been offended with what I've posted up to this point concerning the event in September. The organizers wanted/wants input and really that's the only thing I've been doing, giving some input. So once again, I am sorry if anybody has taken my posts in the wrong way.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #55
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Now see there you went and (even if on accident,or jokingly) just backed up my original stance on the boater vs bank angler thing. The "bankers" will be at a disadvantage to those in a boat (99% of the time in September). There really isn't any "Honey Holes" that's fishable from the banks, just decent areas. Now someone could beat all the boaters from the banks but at that time of year it's unlikely to happen IMO. Except for the Carp it's all about the Shad come September and the shad aren't close to the banks at that time of year except for maybe when they get chased in that direction. Which in turns means that those on the banks will have to be in the exact locations at the exact right time. With that said if I do fish the event and not just do it for Aaron then I'll look forward to kicking your butt (atleast) from the bank while you're out on a boat.LOL
I'll be kickin' your Butt from the Bank...with Dale!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #56
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
This goes out to Don, event organizers, and anyone else that views some of my posts as me being a hard headed butthead about things, I offer my sincerest apology to anyone that might have been offended with what I've posted up to this point concerning the event in September. The organizers wanted/wants input and really that's the only thing I've been doing, giving some input. So once again, I am sorry if anybody has taken my posts in the wrong way.
I'm sure they that no one is offended with questions that were asked or ideas that were shared....it's better to think about all this stuff now then the day of the event!
It is a Charity event, I hope people continue to realize that...it is being held to provide basic needs and help for those that are not as well off as ourselves. To serve that basic purpose they are not going to be able to "Reward" every age group, gender, or style of fisherman!
It will do no good as a Charitable Event if they do not end up with money left over to help those in need!
Even though I will not fish in the Tourney (due to personal beliefs) I will give my entry fee as a donation, I will give the required can goods, and I will allow my son to fish and will reward him with a Fun, Great day out with his Father, lunch, and a reward for him catching a fish or showing sportsmanship or helping others!
If the organizers can afford to give a small token then great, if they cannot, this will be another teaching experience for me to show Dale the meaning of giving, helping, and sacrifice...Lets help to make this a wonderful event for the community and for those that really need our help!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #57
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

Quote:
I'm sure they that no one is offended with questions that were asked or ideas that were shared....it's better to think about all this stuff now then the day of the event!
It is a Charity event, I hope people continue to realize that...it is being held to provide basic needs and help for those that are not as well off as ourselves. To serve that basic purpose they are not going to be able to "Reward" every age group, gender, or style of fisherman!
It will do no good as a Charitable Event if they do not end up with money left over to help those in need!
Even though I will not fish in the Tourney (due to personal beliefs) I will give my entry fee as a donation, I will give the required can goods, and I will allow my son to fish and will reward him with a Fun, Great day out with his Father, lunch, and a reward for him catching a fish or showing sportsmanship or helping others!
If the organizers can afford to give a small token then great, if they cannot, this will be another teaching experience for me to show Dale the meaning of giving, helping, and sacrifice...Lets help to make this a wonderful event for the community and for those that really need our help!
Not advocating giving out prizes to every adult that enters, only the top 1-3 boaters and the top 1-3 bank anglers. That would cut down on the number of prizes given out which in turn would/should leave plenty of money left over to go to those that the event is trying to help. Furthermore it would could go the same way for the ladies (top 1-3) if they decide to do that suggestion as well. Now for the kids, ALL KIDS FISHING THE EVENT SHOULD RECEIVE A PRIZE. Doesn't have to be anything big but everyone of them outta leave the event with a little something in hand IMO. Again the prizes doesn't have to be anything spectacular.

Event Organizers: Have you guys or gals approach any local sporting goods stores that make trophies to see if they'd be willing to donate some trophies for the event? That'd be kinda cool to see the kids leaving with trophies in hand IMO.

When will the official registration be held? Morning of event or will it be sometime before the event? reason I bring that up is that the sooner you guys know approximately how many adults/kids will be entering the better off it'll be. Then you'd know just how many people you'll need to pull this thing off and not have any major problems while doing so.

I put this out to ALL of us that claim to be "Wolf Pack" members, forego fishing the event and let all of us donate our time and energy to helping the organizers pull this thing off. I would like to be the first to "officially" volunteer to do so. Whatcha say people are you all with me on that idea?

Last edited by spfldbassguy; 02-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #58
Lowell H Turner

Valid questions and "suggestions", sir...hopefully they will be considered. Am aware that this being the 1st 'go' at this, there will probabily be a little "fine tuning"...BTW I`m also in on foregoing any prizes other than the look on some of the boater`s faces...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #59
easytobeme03
CJ WolfPack

First no one is offended by your suggestions or comments , these are exactly the types of input that has been requested from the C.J. fishing community, so thank you .

As for breaking the category into boat/bank fishermen that will not happen. Let me point out its not being hard headed about it but that is how its going to stand. The kids categories , for the most part, will stand as is. There is already a 12 and under group which aleady sets a 13 to 17 group and prizes will be awarded accordingly. There will not be a seperate category for women/men. , ( as much as i hate to admit it) that you know that on quite a few occasions that my wife and i have been out she has out fished me ! I also know there a few other women who fish the lake and do quite well. I dont feel thats it right to say that men outfish or know more about fishing than men. Im sure there are women who fish sanctioned events ( which this is not) who would not like such a claim to be made.

Work is being done to get something, a plaque, a trophy t-shirt , etc to be able to award every child something to remeber the event and their involvement in it.

Yes we are working on getting a time and date and possibly a web site for pre-registration for the event.

There will be 2 weigh in stations, one at the marina and one at the main boat ramp, AT THIS TIME i believe you can weigh in any time of the day, we know that those with kids and those that may not be able to stay all day due to weather or personal obligations etc. may need to leave earlier than 4pm.

I think that people are getting lost in the main reason for this tournament. It is not to have a tournament it is to raise donations for the Salvation Army that does so much good for our community. The tournament is a way to give something back NOW , rather than when they are down on their luck or in need to those that help by donating to this cause. It is meant to get donations first and give something back to the community now by having a tournament that can be great fun for all involved and the community here in our area. It is not about us fishermen nor the tournament , it is about helping people and families that need it in these hard times. I my self have had hard times through the years as im sure several of you have, that is why there was no hesitation when given the chance to give back to a very worthy organization such as the Salvation Army.

The event is still a ways off and there is alot of work done and still being done to make this a very special event for all involved and all that will be given help in the community by this.

Last edited by easytobeme03; 02-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
easytobeme03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #60
Lowell H Turner

All in all, sounds good so far...

« Cc 9/15 | Nero »