Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

CJ "Cover" Project

Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
sisezz73

What is the minimum length of pvc tubing? Feet wise you are looking for. Also can someone please send me a list of what materials will be needed. Also around when needed by. I am setting my goals HIGH for this project with getting items needed for others and myself.
Thanks Simon
sisezz73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Lowell H Turner

To be as effective as possible the PVC needs to have the outer surface sanded with #60 grit coarse; this will allow moss and algae to attach and grow. Also when you look at the construction photos carefully note Brent put 2 screws into 1 end of each piece of the PVC to help the cement "grip" it; Otherwise it tends to work loose when handled.
Lowell H Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
SeanStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell H Turner View Post
Hello Sean. Do keep in mind that any "flood control impoundment" with an outlet Tower is actually OWNED by the Army Corps of Engineers; the Park is leased, administered and largely maintained by the State from them for about $1 a yr, which means in the end the Corps has the final say so as to "yea or nay", what, where, how many and so on. But our experience is that so long as ODNR and the Dept of Parks feels there is a justified need for the types of cover you`re planning on placing, the Corps has actually been VERY helpful ! Talk to ODNR, they are VERY knowledgable on the subject. they can help you come up with a realistic plan and help with "the Powers that be"...and 1 last thought: ASSEMBLY will be the Achille`s heel. Good luck!
I just sent a message to the ODNR asking about how to go about adding structure. I'll let you know what they have to say about the issue. The lake I had in mind was Rocky Fork Lake in Highland County. It's the closest lake to where I live, and I would like to see an increase in fish size. I'd even like to get a few catfish spots going. Flathead in that lake might as well be unicorns. LOL It's a huge lake and I don't think they lower the water levels much at all. I'm not sure how many people I can get together but I know that I could make a pretty large contribution myself, if allowed. I could probably manage to drag a dozen people along through various social connections.

Ideally I would like to add structure once every fishing trip, and not make it so much of an "All at once thing". I'm just not sure if they would like that too much. If I was able I think I could get 2 or 3 pieces of structure like shown below each trip. I'd just load them into the boat and drop them where needed. I fish the lake 30+ times a year, so thatís almost 100 pieces of structure.
SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Lowell H Turner

sisezz73, would imagine 3`long would be a minimum, 4" max diameter. (Keep in mind we hope to have approval for wooden 1" x 1"s too, not sure yet) Materials needed will be 5- 8 3` long pieces of SANDED PVC pipe, 10- 16 1" drywall screws (2 per PVC piece of pipe), Quikcrete and a container deep enough to hold the PVC upright while the cement sets up. If the container is flexable enough to be removed after set up and reused, better yet. The BEST reuseable container have found yet is a 5 gallon bucket cut down 1 side and around the bottom leaving it attached by about 2" on the far side from the cut side. Before pouring the cement, seal the cut side with duct tape and wrap a flexible rubber stretch "bundgy' across the bottom and back to the lip of the bucket to help seal it and 1 midway down around the bucket to close it up. To remove the dried finished attractor, remove the bundgys, pull off duct tape and it pop free.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Lowell H Turner

SeanStone, understand the idea. All can "suggest' is talk to ODNR and COE. If they like the idea, (what and where, ect) they`ll probabily approve it. 1 word of advice: get OFFICIAL permission. Chances are you will.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStone View Post
I just sent a message to the ODNR asking about how to go about adding structure. I'll let you know what they have to say about the issue. The lake I had in mind was Rocky Fork Lake in Highland County. It's the closest lake to where I live, and I would like to see an increase in fish size. I'd even like to get a few catfish spots going. Flathead in that lake might as well be unicorns. LOL It's a huge lake and I don't think they lower the water levels much at all. I'm not sure how many people I can get together but I know that I could make a pretty large contribution myself, if allowed. I could probably manage to drag a dozen people along through various social connections.

Ideally I would like to add structure once every fishing trip, and not make it so much of an "All at once thing". I'm just not sure if they would like that too much. If I was able I think I could get 2 or 3 pieces of structure like shown below each trip. I'd just load them into the boat and drop them where needed. I fish the lake 30+ times a year, so thatís almost 100 pieces of structure.

Sean, please get permission...if you do not and are caught, Federal, State, and Local Laws come into play!

You must have a plan...like showing where cover will do the most good, and have pics of what type you are considering, then you must find out each agencies preference of where cover can and cannot be located. It doesn't really take that much more time to do it correctly and with everyones blessing it aids you in the long run when you want to do more "Projects"!

It only takes someone to get the ball rolling and then it will take off...Best Wishes and Good Luck!
We'll help in any way we can!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
easytobeme03
CJ WolfPack

I would say If you want specifics on sizes and materials used or required I would pm intimidator for a list .
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
Intimidator
Banned

All the PVC that I have used so far is 5 foot, the Main Pole on the "Minnow Condo" is 3 inches round with (4) 1.5 inch holes drilled on both sides, so minnows/fry can move in and out. The 4 posts in the "Minnow Condo" are 4 foot 2x4's which will grow algae fast and feed the minnows, which in turn will draw the fish, etc!

The Stake beds are 4 foot and the next ones will be a few 6-footers. I have been doing all of these in the Garage and when they set I take them out to cure when the sun is out...which for this Winter has been alot! The 3.5 gallon buckets and 15 liter trays hold exactly (1) 40 lb bag of cement! I'm going to concentrate on several of the "Minnow Condo's" with 4" PVC and more 2x4 stuff.

All PVC is sanded with 60 grit and self tapping screws are used in all the wood and PVC to keep it from ever coming out of the concrete!

I Hope this gives everyone ideas...I'll also bring them to the "Meet and Greet" so everyone can really see them up close!
The cost per "Tree" with NO DISCOUNTS is right around 10-12 Bucks....You can work out your own deals or scavage material and be able to do it alot cheaper...I had to have a per "Tree" cost analysis for The Agencies!

You can start working on your own stuff whenever you want...I will meet with The Park Manager and the COE, hopefully this week....then we'll set up a meeting and discuss this whole Project and set a date sometime in August to drop all the cover that we have made!

Last edited by Intimidator; 01-30-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #29
SeanStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Sean, please get permission...if you do not and are caught, Federal, State, and Local Laws come into play!

You must have a plan...like showing where cover will do the most good, and have pics of what type you are considering, then you must find out each agencies preference of where cover can and cannot be located. It doesn't really take that much more time to do it correctly and with everyones blessing it aids you in the long run when you want to do more "Projects"!

It only takes someone to get the ball rolling and then it will take off...Best Wishes and Good Luck!
We'll help in any way we can!
Absolutely, I will only add structure if and only if allowed by ODNR and COE. As long as they are willing to work with me I should have no problem. Thanks for the advice everyone.
SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
I'll try and make my aircraft carrier avaliable to carry those things, great job of construction Brent

Doc
You have to get the Cat guys involved, Chuck is willing to help and said we can use his Sea Ark also...from everything I'm hearing The Cat Stuff is a totally different kind of cover and I have no experience at all with that!

Don was telling me about a double walled 8" plastic construction pipe that when you drill holes in the outer wall will sink....he said it is normally left as scrap in sections of 2 foot etc...

We are also going to try and get some cement blocks to drop...if possible! I know I can buy them if we can get a heavy trailer to pick them up and haul when the time comes!

I really want to help all the fishermen while we are doing this and get as much in as possible!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #31
spfldbassguy
CJ Wolfpack

What are you using to drill in the 1.5'' holes? Did I read that right?

I've got to get going on this then at some point. I've got a couple of ideas for making some "towns" for the largemouth in the lake.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
downtime8763
Retired UPS

I think I have access to a heavy tilt trailer that I can tow with my chevy hd, as far as the blocks I'm within a mile of Brice Hill and will talk to them about blocks,just need a number.
1998 Jayco fifth wheel camper
May all your fish tails be longer than the ones you tell!
downtime8763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfldbassguy View Post
What are you using to drill in the 1.5'' holes? Did I read that right?

I've got to get going on this then at some point. I've got a couple of ideas for making some "towns" for the largemouth in the lake.
HOLE SAW...1.5 inches! Fits into a drill, got it at Lowes for 6 bucks...you can use it after Saturday if you like!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime8763 View Post
I think I have access to a heavy tilt trailer that I can tow with my chevy hd, as far as the blocks I'm within a mile of Brice Hill and will talk to them about blocks,just need a number.
Nice! We'll take about this at the meeting...see my next post!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #35
cjpolecat
cjpolecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell H Turner View Post
(evil laughter sound effect here...)
What does that sond like?
cjpolecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #36
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Send a message via MSN to KWaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpolecat View Post
What does that sond like?
Mmwuuhahaha? I think

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
KWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
Intimidator
Banned

THE "MEET AND GREET" will be on MARCH 3 (Saturday) at 1 pm at the VISITORS CENTER! Everyone is invited to share ideas and talk with Debra Walters from the ODNR, Chris Rapenchuk or his Rep from the US Army Corps of Engineers, and someone from the State Park Management!
Hopefully everyone can attend because this was the only available date in which The COE could attend....I had to change my B-Day plans to be able to do this, so no excuses!!!LOL

I stopped to talk with Virgil (State Park MGR) this morning but he had meeting all day, I left my contact info and what I wanted to talk with him about so he has an idea when we meet hopefully this week!
So I went to see Chris and meet with him...he was OK with the "Project" and is defering to Debra on type of cover and placement. We have his Full Blessing because...and I quote, "I have seen how much good these "Projects" are doing for the Lake and I want them to continue!"
The only thing left is to talk with Virgil and then.....WE ARE A FULL GO!!!

Now, We need input on where we want this cover to go....The South End of the lake is pretty much a no touch area...along with Walleye netting areas! Other than that, we would like to keep everything right now between 12 to 18 feet deep and keep in mind the lake drops 3 feet at Winter pool! Please PM me with ideas so I can place it on a Map so Debra can go over it at the meeting!

GPS locations will not be used or given to anyone! If you make Attractors, you can sink your own stuff if you want, or have someone else with a boat sink it with you along...that way you have an idea where it is and can monitor it! This way we'll know what areas are benefitting from the cover and we can put more there, later on!
I will bring attractors I have made for everyone to see and if you have something else made, please bring it so Debra and everyone else can see it and have it OK'd.
Cement Block drops are OK if we provide a couple nice areas that Smallies will use.

I already talked to Doc,....ALL of the Cat guys need to get together and develope a Plan and put together what kind of structure they can make and areas they want to sink it! If it is OK'd by Debra, the "KITTY KAT PROJECT" is a GO also!!!
This will be a perfect time for those who want to benefit the Cat Population!
Metal containers are out! She also likes Closed End "CAVES" for the Kitties!!!

Again, The "Meet and Greet" for the CJ Cover Project 2012....will be held on March 3rd, at 1 pm, at the Visitors Center....it is on the Dam side of the lake, on the N end of the Dam at the Overlook! If you have any questions PLEASE ASK!
Good Fishing To ALL!

Last edited by Intimidator; 01-31-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
Shaggy

Default Holy Crap

Now I have two threads to try and keep up with. lol

I've been doing some research on man-made fish attractors and ran across what was called an "old Kentucky trick." Coat your PVC with buttermilk and let it dry in the sun. No need to sand and it will grow algae ridiculously fast.

It seems the cover of choice for LM Bass is the porcupine type structure. Very easy and quick to put together and no more than two bricks are needed to sink it and keep it in place. The only issue is the center spheres are ridiculously expensive but I intend to cut 3-1/2" lengths of 4 x 4 and then cut off all the edges at a 45 degree angle to essentially have a ball with 26 flat surfaces. Drill 26 holes and glue in PVC, coat the PVC with the buttermilk and then probably coat the wood with resin. Should last forever.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #39
Lowell H Turner

Shaggy, never heard of that 1 before. If you can build an example, bring it to show ODNR.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
Intimidator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Now I have two threads to try and keep up with. lol

I've been doing some research on man-made fish attractors and ran across what was called an "old Kentucky trick." Coat your PVC with buttermilk and let it dry in the sun. No need to sand and it will grow algae ridiculously fast.

It seems the cover of choice for LM Bass is the porcupine type structure. Very easy and quick to put together and no more than two bricks are needed to sink it and keep it in place. The only issue is the center spheres are ridiculously expensive but I intend to cut 3-1/2" lengths of 4 x 4 and then cut off all the edges at a 45 degree angle to essentially have a ball with 26 flat surfaces. Drill 26 holes and glue in PVC, coat the PVC with the buttermilk and then probably coat the wood with resin. Should last forever.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Post a pic, when you get this done!!! And make sure you bring it to the "Party" on March 3rd!

The one thing about sinking cover is you need enough weight so it can't be dragged if snagged!....Honestly Shag, I just can't picture this thing in my mind yet!LOL