Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

Jim Stedke's 2012 mid-winter online seminar

Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #41
Jim Stedke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldinn View Post
I really can't remember puling double willows in the last two seasons. We did well with colorados from east to west. Double willows usually work better when the water warms, and the bait fish grow in size. They can be used if you can't get your boat down to the slower speeds, or if you want to cover more water. I was having success with the colorados, so I kept using what worked for me. The white bass and sheeps don't care what blade you run. If there's a crawler behind it, they'll hit it.
Steve, What speed would you say is the speed to go from Colorados to willows?
Jim Stedke is online now   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #42
Jim Stedke

sylvan 17, Hot N Tot & Wiggle Warts have put many walleyes in many coolers over the years.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #43
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stedke View Post
Steve, What speed would you say is the speed to go from Colorados to willows?
You can run a size five or six colorado up to about 2-2.1 mph before it 'blows out'. When I say blow out, I mean the resistance of the blade is too much for the line, and instead of the clevis spinning, the line will, and you'll pull up a mess. If you do want to run them faster, JT Custom sells a metal shaft, available at Erie Outfitters (Craig calls them shafts, believe it or not), which will allow you to run them at higher speeds without the blowout. I've used them, and they work well.

I've ran double willows from 1.5-3 mph, but they'll probably perform at higher speeds, as well.
Hetfieldinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #44
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

Quote:
sylvan 17, Hot N Tot & Wiggle Warts have put many walleyes in many coolers over the years.
I've trolled Tots and Wiggle Warts around the reefs, as well as Ruggles Reef in the last few seasons and did very well.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
sylvan 17
"I'll get the net"

Quote:
Thanks Jim,these are my goto lures for inland lakes plus big O's and flicker shads. I never tried them on Erie,so maybe this year I will give them a try.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
Jim Stedke

Steve, I had the new plastic "Ghost Blades" at the boat show. one size that i had was a #5 Willow, and the did not sell as well as I expected. So assuming you have no experience with the plastic blades, how much speed can a larger single willow withstand, and how would you guess the plastics to compare (they weigh about 1/2 of metal blades).

Less weight should mean less thump, and the ability to spin at slower speeds, but I think they'll catch as much water as the metal blades, so resistance and twisting may be simular.

By the by, any experience with Tadpoles? (previous post).
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #47
Fish Scalper

Jim, plastic spinner blades have been around for quite awhile and were never very popular. I dumped a bunch for practically the price of shipping on Ebay some time ago after running them with poor results; they weren't the current brand of course.. They hold paint very nicely, but that was all I found nice about them. I think they're just too light and at times may fail to spin at all as a result. Willows don't produce any sound to begin with and are purely a sight presentation since they offer the best all around visiblity. The higher visibility is why they are more effective further East than West given the better water clarity.
Fish Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #48
Saugeyefisher

Great post! lots to learn!

How do you guys store ur crawlers while out on the lake on a hot spinner bite? I just purchased a small soft sided cooler an was goin to just clean them off at the ramp and dump in some cool water?
Saugeyefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #49
Jim Stedke

You just about have to keep the bulk in cold conditions and take them out a few at a time (depending on how fast they're being used). To keep the whole lot accessable, is to invite soft worms to the afternoon bite.

Some ice cubes in a small plastic container (like they sell in the paint dept at Lowes) will hold the at hand worms nicely, while the bulk stay cold in a cooler.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #50
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugeyefisher View Post
Great post! lots to learn!

How do you guys store ur crawlers while out on the lake on a hot spinner bite? I just purchased a small soft sided cooler an was goin to just clean them off at the ramp and dump in some cool water?
I use a soft sided cooler, worm bedding included, and put one of those small, frozen packs on the bottom, add crawlers and bedding, then put another on top. Pull out about two dozen at a time, wash them in a bucket, then add ice to the bucket as needed. I also store the worm cooler in a larger cooler on the hot days.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

Quote:
By the by, any experience with Tadpoles? (previous post).
I tried the Tadpoles last year, and although I caught fish using them, I'm not a big fan of 'em. I'm a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy. I really don't see the necessity of a light diving device having to 'trip' to reel the fish in. The resistance of the inline weights is negligible, so having it 'trip' is a moot point. I've been using the Rednek weights since they came out, and am very happy with them. I know a few guys that really like the Tadpoles. I am in no way trying to deter guys from using them, or giving them a try. If you like them, and have confidence using them, by all means, keep using them. I just like the simplicity of the standard inlines, so that's what I use.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #52
Saugeyefisher

thanks guys,i aprecriate the answers! Nothing worst then a crushed worm container in the bottem of the boat.
Saugeyefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
sylvan 17
"I'll get the net"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugeyefisher View Post
thanks guys,i aprecriate the answers! Nothing worst then a crushed worm container in the bottem of the boat.
Nothing worse than that worm dirt getting all over the inside of the boat.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #54
Dan

Jim any tips on getting my big boards to pull harder. I run Amish outfitter boards off the top of the pilot house and they seem to really fall behind the boat. I have been thinking about drilling another hole but figured I would check in here first.

Thanks to all who have contributed to these online seminars, I have learned a great deal from them.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #55
Jim Stedke

Dan, My best advise is to call Frank Kittrick @ 216 577 7087 and talk w/him about the problem.

In general adding wt to the borads will cause them to set lower in the water and pull much harder, but I'd sure talk to Frank first.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #56
jimski2

Remembering the use and developement of side planer boards back in the 1970's on Lake Ontario spring near shore fishing, long lining did not produce as well as the single boards with a steel bar screwed to the bottom. Then came the double boards which were even better. The best were the Otter Boards which in high winds even stayed spread out better. Today we use the in line boards since they store easier and work well. The cool water fishery targets fish up in the water columns and as things get warmer having your lines deeper and covering a greater expanse of water is very effective.
jimski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
Dan

Sounds like a good idea Jim I'll give Frank a call and see if he has any idea's.

I use to flatline lake O in the spring when I lived in NY. Great fun catching big trout and salmon on bass fishing gear.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #58
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

I couldn't imagine hooking a large salmon with an inline board attached to the line. Sounds like fun. I had the ol' lady out last year, and we snagged a large steelie in the tail with the spinner. It took forever to get it to the boat. I made her reel in all the fish (52 in four hours). The steelie was 'snagged' at the end of the day, and she didn't dig it.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #59
nicklesman
Dough Boy

Jim,
I am interested in learning more on reef runners with snap weights vs inlines. What are the pros and cons of each? I run both big boards and offshores. I prefer to run the offshores. I run a lot of stick baits in the east in the summer off dipsy's and riggers. i would like to add some knowledge on the inlines and snaps. I plan on doing some early trolling on the west end this year and have no knowledge on the depth the divers run with or without weights. I usually just play around till I find the right setting but I would like to cut this out.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #60
Jim Stedke

First the early Spring bite. It is nearly a sure thing that the March and April walleyes caught trolling in the area of the fireing range cans off Davis Besse will be caught in the top 15 ' of the water column (maybe top 10'). This is not the time for added wts of any kind, because the slower speeds would allow the wts to drive the lure too deep to be effective.

with speeds as low as 1 mph, the deep lures do not achieve the diving depths that the curves discribe (which were developed at 2 mph), and many fish are taken on shallow lures sometimes only 20- 45' back. Typical deep lure drop lenghths are 25 - 75'.

Snap wts vs in-line wts w/ Reef Runners. We use rubber bands to attach our wts to the line. We started doing this because we felt the band caught less water and therefore allowed the wts be more effective. We have confidence, in the band attahed wts because we've caught many fish with them.

We tried in-line wts once 3 years ago and didn't like the results, but having said that, we have several charter friends who use in-line wts all the time and do well with them. So I feel there is little diference between an in-line and a rubber band attached snap wt, if both are the same distance from the lure (6').

If you move the snap wt further away from the lure, (20 - 50') there is a big diference in the effect of the wt on the lure. Basically the verticle movement of the lure is slowed down and more subtle. Also in bigger waves the wave surge on the lure is reduced and somewhat taken up by the wt. The lures start to act kinda like they do on leadcore.

Hope thishelps, and good luck.