Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

Jim Stedke's 2012 mid-winter online seminar

Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #201
Jim Stedke

I expect all of us wanna be fishermen will get a look at the clarity situation later this pm with the satalite. Here's hopin we get a fairly clean shot at them.
Jim Stedke is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #202
preacherman

jim, could you pm me on the map chip too. thanks, tom h
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #203
Jim Stedke

Tom, PM sent sorry for the delay I was up at the lake.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #204
da-animal

jim-do you use leaders when you troll rr's-in spring, summer, fall?? or just directly to the mono?? thanks
da-animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #205
Jim Stedke

I use a #2 round bottom crosslock snap only on the end of the main line mono. No leader no swivel.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #206
ONE-SHORT

Default How often are you changing leads/colors RR

After reading your posts, do you have a system or rotation of lure leads/colors when you are trolling? Do you have a set that you prefer in low light conditions vs mid day/ or water clarity? I have been a stick to whats worked on the last trip or that day guy (partly because my fishing buddies give me grief for trying to change out a lure that has caught a fish)!! I do target most baits at the fish highest on the FF but am guilty of a tacklebox that 50% of the cranks have never been wet.. Thanks Tom
ONE-SHORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #207
Jim Stedke

Tom, No system other that start a little spread out both depth and color wise, and let the fish tell you what & where. Maybe go to more Naked or prism or chrome if it gets bright, or to more painted & white based if it gets cloudy. But I've seem that gold Rouge (which is more coppery color) work in all conditions and I've seen Pearl Ghost work at the same time. In fact I at first thought the nakeds were best in murky water, but they just seem to work.... no matter what.

We all have our confidence colors ....someone said that Cheap sunglasses was going, and I just hven't even thought about that color, and it's a great choice. I may start with it on today.

Dark lures in dark conditions and brighter (flashier) as the light goes up is as good a system as I know. But don't be afraid to vary from that. I like spots (or dots) and I like some violet on a lure, so Barbie, Spotted sunset, Wonderbreads, all are regulars for me. But I know I should run gold w/ a black back more than I do, and Eriedescent and Rainbow trout, and emerald shiner.

So many colors ....so little time!!!

Good fishing.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #208
ONE-SHORT

Thanks,, I see so many colors posted on your recent trips i didn't know if you clear one side of boards and change all lures every 20-30 minutes or how long will you run a color that doesnt get any takers before trying another? Tom
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #209
All Thumbs

how long will u run a lure with no results before u switch it out?

all thumbs
All Thumbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #210
Jim Stedke

Tom, I seldom change more than 3 or 4 lures a day, and most often it's because a color is working on the other side.

All thumbs, somewhere between 45 minutes and all day (depending on how many fish are being caught). I'll probably change depth 4 or 5 times before I switch it.Color is usually not nearly as important as depth.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #211
ONE-SHORT

Thanks for all the help..It's great that you and others on OGF are willing to get into details and help shorten the learning curve for guys like me trying to put a few more arrows in the quiver!!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #212
Jim Stedke

Shortening learning curves is the whole point. But I might add, reading about it is one thing, but seeing it happen or participating in making it happen is much better. Going out on a learning charter is the best way.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #213
Jim Stedke

Reef Runner confusion to clarity:

Reef Runner is the company name BUT ALSO THE NAME OF THE 1st LURE the big billed deep diving 800 series. So it's a Reef Runner Reef Runner.

Then there's the shallow diving short billed lure called a Rip Stick 700 series. (same body size as an 800)

Then the Deep Little Ripper samller deep diving lure the 600 series.

Then the little Ripper same smaller body as the 600 short bill shallow lure the 500 series

Then the 2 Rip Shads larger being the 400 series ....samller being the 200 series medium diving shad body lures.

Next we'll get a 100 series, a smaller yet version of the Rip Stick not named as yet.

And I just about forgot about the 900 Rip Stick a Super size Rip Stick for Muskies and salt water, but sometimes is used by guys going after big walleyes.

So when I say a Reef Runner assume I mean the 800 series.If I were talking about a 700 I'd either call it a Rip Stick (or rip for short).

Hope this helps.... good luck
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #214
Meerkat

Default Lead Length for all-purpose Worm Harness?

I have started tying my own worm harnesses & I am looking for input on what lead length I should use.

If possible I would like to find a standard "all-purpose" lead length so I can use the same harness on bottom bouncers, snap-wts, in-line wts, jets and dipseys. But can I use the same harness lead length for all these various depth control techniques & if so what would that lead length be?

I am trying to keep my life simple but I still want to catch fish
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #215
Jim Stedke

When I tie a bunch ahead I tie them at 8'. That's about the longest I use. Then if I want the shorter....I just tie a loop at the length I want and cut off the excess.

Hope this helps, Jim
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #216
Meerkat

Now why didn't I think of that :-)

Thanks Jim!
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #217
grt1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stedke View Post
the boat show's over which means winter is half gone, and it's time for the 5th or is it the 6th mid-winter online seminar.

Mods, I put it here because this is where it has always been, if it needs to be moved, .... Ok with me.

As most know, I got to try trolling In Jan. 3 times this year, and while we did not knock em dead, we caught fish every time out.

So... let the fun begin. Who wants to ask the first question?
hey jim... BIG WHOOP.... lots of people did that this year with the weather like it was.
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #218
Snook
"Take a Fish Boating"

Do the shallow running Ripsticks and Little Rippers pull good behind a dipsy? Also what are the low end and upper end speeds recomended? Thanks!
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #219
Jim Stedke

Snook, Both do fine. And speed behind a Dipsy is from 1.8 - 3.5 or faster if you fell the need. And the 1.8 is for the Dipsys to pull out right, not the lures.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jim Stedke; 04-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #220
juicebox

Jim, any chance you could list a dive cure for the dhj's. it would be much appreciated. thanks, Dax.
juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote