Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Trucks, Cars, Bikes and Trailers >

Car/ Transmission question

Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
copperdon

Default Car/ Transmission question

I recently bought a used Honda CRV (2000), automatic transmission, 4 cylinder, all wheel drive, and I've noticed that 3rd and 4th gears (especially 3rd) seems to be really "short" on this vehicle...I hope that's the right term.

They aren't slipping or anything, it's just that when in those gears, it seems that the transmission stays in those speeds for longer than the other speeds; the rpm's peak and stay at around 4500 for a longer period than others before it switches to the next gear (5th) where the rpm's drop back down to around 2500. The result is an audible high rpm "rev" that stays longer than when other gears around it are switching.

I've had transmission fluid checked, there's no audible slipping, no other signs beyond what I've mentioned that would point to a problem.

I'm NOT a "car guy".. beyond being able to change my own oil , replace spark plugs, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable. Also, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that is all wheel drive, so I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

Thoughts?

Last edited by copperdon; 11-21-2011 at 09:30 AM.
copperdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
squiddy

try waterloo transmission .com they give free advice and they are good i also have a friend that owns a trans shop if i talk to him soon i will ask good luck
squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
dinkbuster1

Send a message via Yahoo to dinkbuster1

go to an auto parts store and get a bottle of Sea Foam for transmissions and put it in. could be a sticking solenoid or somethings dirty.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
acklac7
S.S.

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

For what its worth Honda Transmissions always seemed (to me) more like "go-kart" tranny's when compared to real "GM" car/truck Transmissions. (GM Invented the Automatic Transmission).

Also if you do some research Honda/Acura trans along with Chrysler trans are about the worst you can get...

That said on my old (Chrysler) Concorde I changed my T.fluid 3000 miles before it was due (every 25,000 miles I believe) and never had an issue up until I sold it (185,000 miles). Those who let the fluid go until 50-60 thousand miles (consecutively) often had to replace them twice, if not 3 times.

Ohio: The Iroquoian word for "Beautiful River"

True Ohio Sportsmen Should Release Stream/River Smallmouth

A.J.

Last edited by acklac7; 11-24-2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: adding "Chrysler"
acklac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
acklac7
S.S.

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkbuster1 View Post
go to an auto parts store and get a bottle of Sea Foam for transmissions and put it in. could be a sticking solenoid or somethings dirty.
That or the PCM is faulty, causing delayed shifts, or a wiring problem.

Honesty, after driving several Hondas, It's probably just normal foreign transmission shift issues. Like I said they seem to be more "go-kart'ish" then your normal American made trans.

Ohio: The Iroquoian word for "Beautiful River"

True Ohio Sportsmen Should Release Stream/River Smallmouth

A.J.

Last edited by acklac7; 11-24-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
acklac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
moondog5814
captainhook

I would drain the tranny fluid and put Honda transmission fluid in it. I have read many articles about people having problems when they used other types of fluid. I have a Civic with 100,000 miles and I change the fluid every 30k with Honda fluid. It is pricey but well worth it.
moondog5814 is offline   Reply With Quote