Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Grand Lake St. Mary's Crappie Bite

Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #41
Lowell H Turner

According to the gentleman with the group, only 1 local farmer has done any serious work at implimenting any of the "recommended' changes as far as intalling the enlargened settling/ containment ponds, buffer strips and containment edging at this time. his efforts were confirmed from both the ground and "the eye in the sky", and personally believe he is due some public acknowledgement for his voluntary progress. Very little has been done so far by the majority of the others, although HOPEFULLY this will change...I guess the main point is generally most farmers consider themselves and WANT to be seen as "good stewards" of the land they use. Am sure they are aware there IS a MAJOR problem with their run off and that they would be making atleast token efforts to help mitigate their "footprint" down stream...
Lowell H Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #42
zaraspook

LHT......I've expressed my disappointment before there is little visible evidence of change in the watershed by the ag community. Fields immediately adjacent to streams show no change in buffers which means the fields extend to within 30' or less of the streams. Until springtime planting we can't tell if any of those farmers intend to pull back cultivation farther from creeks.

The one guy constructed a new containment pond.....it was good to see but isn't obvious who owns the pond. Pond is located across the road and about 100 yards west of a hog operation. That hog operation was one of last year's culprits. He was spreading manure in February on ice/snow covered frozen fields. I filed a complaint, but was beaten to the punch by two others already filed. He was paid a visit by state people who reported back that he wasn't aware he was violating any regulations. If he's the one who constructed the pond, at least he's taken action.

I'd hoped there was more change happening in the watershed, but maybe not visible from the county roads. Sounds like aerial observations suggest otherwise.
zaraspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #43
Lowell H Turner

No idea exactly where the complying gentleman is, the "source" didn`t say. But rest assured, you have company willing to REPORT any violations; hope you`re able to "beat them to the draw" next time...
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #44
zaraspook

Tried to crappie fish at GLSM on Saturday 10th. My channel and my best spots were ice over. I broke up the ice in a few small areas and raked broken chunks on top of adjacent layer of ice. Tried fishing for maybe 30-40 minutes. No bites. Water level is way up, water mud stained and milky to make it tougher. I quit, came back 90 minutes later to try again. Areas I cleared of ice were skimmed over with ice. I packed it in........didn't get out of 20's Saturday.

Though channels were frozen, main lake and mouths of channels were open. Any channels that saw wave action were open. Prior weekend I caught some nice crappies and I think I'll catch more as long as we don't freeze solid like last year.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #45
Lowell H Turner

Doing any good, sir? Happy Holidays !
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #46
zaraspook

Since my last 3 trips were unproductive with ice on the channels, I wasn't gonna fish this weekend. But, got my major chores done Saturday, so took off for GLSM Sunday. Big sigh of relief when I arrived and my channel open and totally ice-free. Didn't know if I'd catch any crappies, but at least I'd get to wet a line for a change. It was 12:30 when I started and good amount of sun. 1/2 hour at my first spot.......no fish, no bites. 45 min at next spot........no fish, but 1/2 dozen timid bites. Decided to change baits and going against conventional wisdom of cold water/small baits, decided to upsize. Maybe with stained/muddy water, a bigger bait would be easier for fish to sense/find. Over the next hour, pace of bites picked up substantially. Bites were timid and finally caught two fish. But, they were gills, not crappies. At least I satisfied the urge and didn't get skunked. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon on Dec 18.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #47
Lowell H Turner

Zaraspook, if you got bites you`re doing something right ! Congratulations !
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #48
zaraspook

Fished GLSM a bit, maybe an hour and a half, on Christmas Eve (Saturday). Lake is still high with water levels similar to springtime. Lake is definitely muddy, but slightly improving clarity. Water temp is down there, only 41.3 degrees. Fished in my channel and was looking for crappies. Had four timid bites, no fish caught. This is the latest in the year I've tried to locate crappies. Don't have a clue......
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #49
poloaman
Smallmouth rule

I hear they are bitting below the spillway as of 12/25 I guess it's so good they are shoulder to shoulder. Have not tried myself just heard this from a few old men in the tackle shop I frequent. Might try this week if kids allow lol

Polo
Outdoor Hub mobile
poloaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #50
bigbasser71

I tried the spillway the day after Christmas, there were a few crappies biting, but i think there getting pretty well fished out.Plan B, I tried a while with a 3/8 ounce jighead and a fire-tiger curly tail for walleye, ended up with one about a pound.Next i go to plan c, i had a few shad that i snagged, so I cut them up and rigged chunks on a 7/0 Gamakatsu octopus hook and tried for cats. I got bit as soon as it hit the bottom almost every time, and ended up with about ten decent channel cats (Just shy of 3 lbs)
bigbasser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #51
zaraspook

poloaman........I'll try GLSM again sometime between now and the weekend. I'll run past the spillway and check it out......haven't seen shoulder to shoulder fishing in forever at GLSM. I'd like to see what that looks like.

bigbasser.......way to go with the channel cats and glad to hear you caught a walleye. I'm doubtful I could tell tell them apart, but keep in mind the DNR put a scant number of saugeye in GLSM in spring of '09, then followed with a significant stocking of fingerlings in 2010. That 2009 saugeye class could easily be 10-12", maybe more. If you catch a walleye-looking fish of that size it may be a saugeye. In fact, since walleye haven't been stocked since 2006, any walleye that comes out of GLSM should be 18+". That assumes the walleyes stocked from 1999-2006 never successfully reproduced. Although the consensus is GLSM walleye did not successfully reproduce, I gotta think reproduction did occur at least in small numbers. If/when you catch another walleye, take a photo and post if at all possible. I've heard a few rumors but never seen evidence of a saugeye catch. The state DNR might be more inclined to stock more saugeye in GLSM is we can show them the fish can survive there.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #52
fishwhacker

Shoulder to shoulder is right don't know if the fishing is that great or if people are just enjoying the weather and open water while we have it. Most people I have talked to only had 6-8 nice crappies nothing spectacular. Does the DNR take counts when they do fish shocking.... Can they tell if the walleye have reproduced or the saugeye have survived? I know I saw plenty of people taking walleye out of the spillway last spring but don't know if any were saugeye.
fishwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #53
Lowell H Turner

Was curious how deep is the pool below the outlet?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #54
fishwhacker

Right below the spillway it is very very shallow. During some draughts years ago they installed an aeroter to keep oxygen levels up because so many fish were dying between the rocks now right in the middle i believe is a little deeper but not much the further down you go the better until about the 127 bridge then it shallows up again. I have tightlined for catfsh down there mainly to find out where the deeper holes are located. I'm guessing if I guy tosses just a sinker on the end of his line and counts till it hits the bottom he could figure it out in less than an hr. I'd say there are holes as deep as 15 ft in there but for the most part it's pretty shallow
fishwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #55
Lowell H Turner

Thank You for the information, sir!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
zaraspook

Hit GLSM Friday 30th in the afternoon. Stopped by The Outdoorsman and was surprised with the steady traffic buying bait.........six cars in and out for bait in the 15-20 minutes I was there. Proprietor Dan Manning related he'd heard spillway area had been producing some walleye and a few boats were seen trolling for walleye all along the west end of lake. Though trolling is common place at other Ohio lakes, it's a rare sight at GLSM. Dan also said he and others were still catching crappies and bluegills, but he hadn't fished in the last 10 days.

Conditions were windy, and wet with showers off and on. Water level remains a foot above normal for this time a year. Clarity in channels is perhaps 10", stained, not muddy, and not as green as main lake. Main lake is still pretty green and clarity less than 6 inches. I spent 1.5 hours in my channel looking for crappies but no takers. Did manage 2 gills but action was slow with maybe a dozen bites.

Decided to try Windy Point with a plan to throw suspending stick baits for walleye, and mix in some jigs. Water between the end of Windy Point fishing pier and the water fowl island/refuge is 12-16' deep. There is a shelf out there where water depth quickly transitions to 6-7', then gradually shallows to 3-4' as you move south along the rip-rap pier toward parking lot. Problem was the road to parking was blocked to cars..........not sure why it was blocked but a lot of dredging pipeline lined the road. Changed my mind, turned around and instead headed to the West Bank State boat ramp area to test the rumors of walleye action that end of the lake. Not that I expected to catch a walleye, but hoped to be pleasantly surprised.

I worked a 150-200 yard stretch of rip-rap bank that lines the state ramp/parking area. Started with a suspending Husky Jerk cranked down to maybe 4', then a stop/start with lengthy pauses and an occasional twitch in between. It was soon clear, however, the bait was slowly rising to surface, not suspending and I was without lead tape to modify the action. Switched to jig/twister tail or jig with 3" Gulp minnow for next hour. With 15-20 mph winds blowing rod and line around, detecting bites was a challenge and I chucked it in after less than hour and half into the walleye venture.

I drove by the spillway.....only one fisherman at the tailwaters and tough to tell if he was fishing for eyes, crappies, or other.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #57
Lowell H Turner

TOUGH conditions, sir ! Sometimes despite the best effort, the fish simply ain`t having it...excellent report. Might have been tempted to try that drop off though, unless posted as closed. Happy New Year, Zaraspook !
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #58
zaraspook

LHT.......and a great 2012 to you! Conditions could have been worse...air temps were mild, not cold at all. Hopefully I'll hit the shelf/transition area before hard water. I haven't come up with an explanation why the road out to Windy Point was closed. Maybe someone else knows.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #59
Lowell H Turner

Zaraspook, is GLSM iced over yet? We have some sheet ice at CJ.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
ffunk5

seems like a lot of action lately
ffunk5 is offline   Reply With Quote