Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Camp Fire >

Camping

Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
viper1

Default Camping

Well as we have been getting older and in worse shape or camping is down to once or twice a year. Talking to my wife one night she said if the pop up wasn't so much getting ready ,setting up, tearing down and unloading all at home it would be a lot easier. Well or truck isn't up to pulling a travel trailer. So I started thinking I had read where it is getting hard to sell a motor home. Mostly because of gas mileage. Then thought well we don't travel much farther than 10-50 miles one way. So even bad gas mileage wouldn't be a big problem. So I posted it,now I knew I'd never get one as new as mine so I didn't expect a whole lot. Well to my surprise I started getting offers from as far as Virginia beach to local. Well now we have a 1987 Dolphin 27 footer. Does it look brand new well no but it is in great shape. With only 55000 on motor. I think it will be great for us. Hope to see more members at the local parks also. Oh by the way. if you don't know the Ohio State Parks give 10% off on buckeye card Saturday and Fridays. On Sundays thru Thursday it's 50% off. Makes it worth signing up for.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
lotaluck

Congrats on the new MH. We have one even older than yours and we use it 8-10 times a year. Your wife is right on, with the MH you can keep the camping necesities in year round. I can be ready to go in about 30 minutes. Still takes the wife longer than that but much more convenient. Have fun and see youout there some time.
lotaluck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
viper1

Default Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotaluck View Post
Congrats on the new MH. We have one even older than yours and we use it 8-10 times a year. Your wife is right on, with the MH you can keep the camping necesities in year round. I can be ready to go in about 30 minutes. Still takes the wife longer than that but much more convenient. Have fun and see youout there some time.
Sounds good! Just wish I would have got it early. A little late to camp now. They have it winterized and Id hate to have to redo it this year. Guess we could dry camp. From what I can tell everything works plugged in. But not battery, so I need to check them. Probably have to get a couple. Hopefully nothing worse. hOPE TO GET OUT SOON THOUGH.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
lotaluck

We do a lot of dry camping late in the year. Its really no hassle at all if the cg has facilities. Once i winterize is all dry from that point on.
lotaluck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Ruminator
TeamOGF

Thumbs up

My wife and I are just finishing up our second season of camping.
We decided to get into tent camping 2 yrs. ago, but I wouldn't call it "roughing it". After reseaching the net I bought a Eureka 15x12. We have everything but an air-conditioner (I looked- $400.00 is too much)... wall to wall carpeting(saves the tent floor), electric blanket for our Serta Queen 18" tall air mattress, nice ceramic electric heater, recharcheable broom sweeper, etc., plus a canopy with electricity for a kitchen and a power strip for the stuff in there.
Its great when its all done, but...

It takes us four hours to set up, or break down camp!

Our camping is in association with boating/fishing so the upgrade we may eventually make will be a pickup camper which can tow our boat.

Thirty minute prep... only in my dreams!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
viper1

Default camping

Yes we also tent camped for many years. But wife has trouble with cots being too low and she cant get done. Shes had 4 total knee replacements and lots a more surgery's on them. But I like tent camping best of all. Mainly I can go where campers cant. I don't require hookups for water or electric or sewage. Then I feel like I'm camping. When you have the hookup luxury's you might as well be home. Just feels like i went to someplace else. There is a lot of pride and satisfaction in doing for yourself. But each to their own. We use a camper now and the wife has fun, that's all that's important.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Dragons4u

Send a message via MSN to Dragons4u Send a message via Yahoo to Dragons4u

If my wife isn't going with me, I usually just take a 10x10 canvas, my deer hides, maybe a blanket and my squirrel fork. Maybe a bow or gun depenind on the time of the year.
Lol, with my wife it's a three room tent and the whole kitchen.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
viper1

Default hmm

LOL reminds me of me back in the day. I picked up a piece of rubber roofing from a friend mine was about 15 ft square. A little heavy for the pack but worth the weight. Carried a light blanket and one of those silver foil type blankets. Had jerky and trail bologna and a hand full of candy.Knife small folding saw,some rope,steel and flint Plus a lighter. Few bandages, Compass, Vacuumed PAC of instant coffee, a Military canteen kit.
I carried this camping and deer hunting. I could go for 5-7 days with no problem. With rope and rubber I had dry tent or wrap around. Could be used to sit on wet or snowy ground. This was also before the wife. Now the camper is stuffed and my suburban is also. And she always has stuff for others to haul if they go.
I still carry the same things to this day when hunting. I don't care for a lot of food when hiking or camping. I keep busy and don't get hungry. Some times the sugar is good for energy.
I was sitting in a make shift blind one year I made by throwing the rubber over a blow down. I was shocked when some thing hit my back. It was a doe trying to get out of the wind and rain. Scared us both she peeled ground taking off and after I closed my mouth I got a wing shot off completely missing her. But that's another story. LOL