Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Camp Fire > Backpacking, Hiking, and Trekking >

Upcoming trips

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Whateversbitn

Default Upcoming trips

I was excited to see this forum open up, but I havn't seen much action. I would like to hear about some upcoming trips that you guys have planned, or how about some stories about past trips. I have a trip planned in June to the Boundary Waters. I realize this is not really a backpacking trip, but I will be carrying my new Cabelas Boundary Waters pack. I am trying to read as much as possible about traveling light. Let's get this forum rolling!
Whateversbitn is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
xmatthewx
facebook.com/xmsdx8

Send a message via AIM to xmatthewx

my older brother and i were talking about taking a trip to the boundary waters. have you been up there before? for this year, we decided on a camping/ fishing trip to dale hollow. should be fun, but i would much rather prefer the solitude of the boundary waters for that.
xmatthewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Wow
Will Yak For Food

Thumbs up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xmatthewx, don't talk about it, do it! Nothing to fear, just prepare. I took 7 novices for a week, back when I was 22 yrs. old. They will all tell you it was one of the best times they ever had. Whateversbitn, hang in there, this forum will start cookin' when spring trails open up. Float trips are magical, part land part sea all fun. Here is a must see site for you :http://www.maddythegoose.com/ You have to see the U-tube vids of his extended trips . It's like being there. Boundry waters, Algonquin it all looks alike on the trail. Happy trails! -- Tim............................................... .................................................. ............................................... Name:  Canoe Monkey.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  5.2 KB
Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
icebucketjohn

Default Upcoming Pa Trek

Planning on a 3 day trek in Pennsylvania during the 2nd week of April. Giving Laurel Highlands Trail strong consideration. I've been on the middle section that crosses the Pa Turnpike (7 Springs/Donegal Exit) a few times.

The footbridge crossing the Turnpike is closed making travel and treking plans that much harder. Currently contemplating which section to hit... Southern or Northern.

I'd prefer to do low mileage per day...less than 8 if possible between adirondack shelter sites.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Wow
Will Yak For Food

John, That sounds like a nice trail, especialy if there's shelters along the way. I know what you mean about, 8 miles a day. Mountain miles can be rough. My older brother took up hiking about 6 yrs. ago, (midlife crisis I presume) and he wanted to do 10-12 miles daily. I had to tell him to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. I like to mosey along the trail, And stop for waterfalls, rock ledges, colorful fungus, you name it. I hike for fun, not hardship. I prefer quality over quantity any day. Here's a couple of pics. --Tim .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............ Name:  Ledges.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  46.2 KB Name:  Cave.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  26.5 KB Name:  Ridge.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  76.2 KB........................................Name:  Monkey edit.gif
Views: 161
Size:  11.0 KB
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
icebucketjohn

Tim, I agree with you totally on mileage per day. 5-7 is about my max these days too.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Steel Cranium

Western U.P in May, Vancouver in September for real steelhead. The boundary waters is a must-do trip. Have done it many times. Make sure that your group is on the same page regarding the travel schedule. I have done the 10+ miles/day in Quetico for 10 days and the base camp with day trips for a week. The travel trip was fun and we went to some really wild areas, but it was a grind with fishing limited to early morning or after dark. Had layers of blisters at the end of the trip, burning thru a few pair of cycling/workout gloves. The base camp idea is nice since the adventurous folks in the group can go out on long day trips while others stay around camp and fish the area waters. I like to base on Agnes lake (U.S) and do day trips to Oyster (lake trout), the chain to the north of Oyster, Iron, LaCroix, etc. Agnes is a great source of food with lots of nice walleye, pike, crappie, big bluegills.

I made a post a long time ago about tips (I believe it was this site - could have been GFO), but some of the highlights for travelling light were:

Make a 'quetico anchor' out of a basketball net. Tie one end shut (the bottom of the net), tie a rope thru the loops on the other end (where it connects to the rim) and leave 20 or 30 feet of rope trailing from the last loop. Put rocks in the net before you go out to fish. If done right, you should be able to pull on the end of the rope and close the top where you added the rocks.

Try to bring a portable depth finder. Essential for finding walleye on structure during slow periods. Even a small smartcast unit would work.
Steel Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
riverperch

Wow - your last picture looks just like a few of the trails I go on in my area. I live along the TN/NC border where there is an abundance of hiking trails. If anyone needs any recommendations, just PM me.
riverperch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
iam20fan

Send a message via Yahoo to iam20fan

never been backpacking. but i want to go this year. as a beginner i was thinking of doing the dayton metro parks backpacking trail to get the feel for it.
iam20fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
claytonhaske
URBAN ADVENTURER

me and my buddy are wanting to do a river float/camping trip on the scioto. has anyone done this before? are there any designated camping areas along the scioto or the olentangy? or along any of the central ohio rivers/creeks? it dosent even have to be in columbus, but in ohio, we want to plan it ahead of time because we are both busy with family obligations. any help, or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks, clayton
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Wow
Will Yak For Food

Funny, but I asked the same thing last summer and nobody could give me anything definite. It does appear that the ODNR is addressing the issue at a snails pace. Here are a couple of links that will lnterest you. All we really need is a place to park at the put-in, a section of water to paddle and camping along the way. Of course, at the take out, you'll need a shuttle back to your car unless you park at both ends. (See LInks) Good Luck--Tim
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraf...9/Default.aspx
http://www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft/ta...6/Default.aspx .................................................. .................................................. ...........................Name:  Canoe Monkey.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  5.2 KB
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
treytd32
She says I'm on one

Default Shawnee St Forest South Loop/Wilderness Trail

My friend and I will be out there this weekend from the 18-21 or 22. I am way to excited about this.. I can't focus on my last finals at UC before we leave haha We are fairly experienced day hikers but have never been out for a multiday trip before and frankly it will probably a learning experience.

Obtained a special use permit so that we can do some real exploring in the wilderness area.

Thankfully the weather that looked like would hit us has cleared up for now according to the forcast. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
treytd32
She says I'm on one

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam20fan View Post
never been backpacking. but i want to go this year. as a beginner i was thinking of doing the dayton metro parks backpacking trail to get the feel for it.
I just posted this but I have never been either.. just day hiking in the range from 3-10 miles. Hopefully this isn't a huge shock to what I am expecting.. It will just be about 4 times that lol 40 miles all in all I think is what we have planned.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytd32 View Post
My friend and I will be out there this weekend from the 18-21 or 22. I am way to excited about this.. I can't focus on my last finals at UC before we leave haha We are fairly experienced day hikers but have never been out for a multiday trip before and frankly it will probably a learning experience.

Obtained a special use permit so that we can do some real exploring in the wilderness area.

Thankfully the weather that looked like would hit us has cleared up for now according to the forcast. Keeping my fingers crossed.
how'd the trip go??

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
fishingfoolBG

Cool forum, ill be checking in here to see some hiking reports from Ohio. Ill post some of my backpacking trips as well from the southwest (NM and CO). I'm leading 13-15 year olds on 2 12 mile hikes this summer! I'll be sure to report back!
FFBG
fishingfoolBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
treytd32
She says I'm on one

hey guys the trip was good. I haven't gotten through all of my video footage and pictures yet to get them up but I will soon. Got some rain the first night and some crazy wind on the 3'rd night but it was a good trip. ALOT harder than we anticipated. Some of those climbs are pretty tough especially when it is wet and muddy. AND I had a boot blow out.. A girl from my area was there a few days after we left and had a tree fall on her and kill her.. thankfully we did not have any such disasters occur. I was convinced a big dead tree was going to fall on my tent and kill me the night the wind picked up though..creepy that this incident occured to her not long after we left. I'll expand this post sometime soon with more details and pictures and maybe video.