Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Discuss your favorite species! > Steelhead Talk >

Newbie info thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #41
PCfish

Thank you BRODG, Im new at this type of fish. Thats pretty much my whole day was adjusting the float and I was losing tackle. Just thought I was doing something wrong. This helps me alot, got my motivation back... thx
PCfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #42
mvidec84

Default fly tips

Hey guys, I'm definitely not a newbie to the river or fishing, but definitely a greenhorn flyfisher. Took a fly rig on the river yesterday, seemed to pick up the basics pretty quickly. I was obviously doing something right because I hooked up with fish all evening. My issue is that once hooked, I can not for the life of me keep them on the line for more than 5 seconds. I'm not used to the long, flexible rod and am not sure if I'm actually setting the hook... Any tips on technique or specific gear for a new fly guy? It is crazy fun though, in one fishing trip I'm hooked on fly fishing.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #43
brodg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvidec84 View Post
Hey guys, I'm definitely not a newbie to the river or fishing, but definitely a greenhorn flyfisher. Took a fly rig on the river yesterday, seemed to pick up the basics pretty quickly. I was obviously doing something right because I hooked up with fish all evening. My issue is that once hooked, I can not for the life of me keep them on the line for more than 5 seconds. I'm not used to the long, flexible rod and am not sure if I'm actually setting the hook... Any tips on technique or specific gear for a new fly guy? It is crazy fun though, in one fishing trip I'm hooked on fly fishing.
The question that comes to mind, based on you flexible rod comment, is what wt. rod are you using? You don't want a rod that is too flexible or you won't be able to muscle the fish. I prefer an 8wt rod but some guys go with 7wt. With a 7 you'll be less likely to break a leader on med size steel, with an 8 your odds go up with the big boys. If the flex of your rod is causing you too miss hooksets make sure your stripping line while setting with your rod. A rule of thumb I have heard is you'll land 1 out of every 6 you hook, though I seem to have better luck than that. My next question is what hook sizes are you using? It's hard to get a good hookset with small stream trout size hooks. My nymph and egg pattern hooks are 8, 10 or 12. My bugger and zonker hooks are 6 or 8. Chrome on a fly rod is a lot of fun, keep at it and keep a sense of humor when the fish wins.
brodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
mvidec84

I didn't really do much research into fly fishing gear when I bought the set, just ignorance I guess...but it's a 8 foot Martin 3 piece rod 5/6 wt. Tiny hooks unsure of the size...came with the set. I was throwing egg imitations out dipped in the oil the spawn sacs come with. The one day flyfishing and just hooking steel with it was more fun even than catching fish with my baitcast reel.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #45
brodg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvidec84 View Post
I didn't really do much research into fly fishing gear when I bought the set, just ignorance I guess...but it's a 8 foot Martin 3 piece rod 5/6 wt. Tiny hooks unsure of the size...came with the set. I was throwing egg imitations out dipped in the oil the spawn sacs come with. The one day flyfishing and just hooking steel with it was more fun even than catching fish with my baitcast reel.
If you got the setup at a good shop they should let you exchange it for a setup more suitable. Most guys use 7 or 8wt rods that are 9 to 10 feet long for steelhead. I saw one guy using a 15' spey rod this year, a bit excessive IMO. Also if you exchange make sure your reel is matched up to hold fly line with equivalent weight to your rod. A good sealed drag is essential to the reel to let the steelies run and tire them out at the same time.

The rod that you bought will serve you well with most other species if you decide to keep it. I use a 6wt when fishing outside of steelhead season.

I would talk to a good fly shop about hook size, Orvis in Woodmere has a lot of flies for sale and some knowledgable people, Jim has given me much good advice this season.

Good luck, and have fun!
brodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #46
mvidec84

I probably will keep it for summer smallies. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #47
YokeNReel

Hello, I am new to the site, kinda. I made an account awhile back, never really came on, and just remembered the site when I seen a car with the OGF sticker on it. Anyways, I am completely new to steelhead. Actually, I have never fished them at all. I got some pointers from a friend that was a guide in the PAC-NW but he said they might be different here. I've fished for and caught most any type of fish here in Ohio with just the most basic of stuff. Float or crappie rig and that's about it. I know of some nice spots in the Rocky River from summer fishing smallies and cats (love to catch a cat on a bobber with 4lb).
For water types what should I look for besides the O2 level and what are good depths? As for my equipment, I have 6lb on an Abu reel and a 9ft medium action rod. I picked up orange and chartreuse sacs and a couple black flies with different color heads and maggots. Will that all be a good start? What else may I want to look into? What should I expect from them when and if hooked (as in a close comparison of another species fight)? PM's are welcome too, thanks for reading, in advance for help, and hopefully I will be able to give some input once I start getting out some.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #48
noSnookinOh

Default Steelhead Bob

Great Idea, I had nothing like this when I started. I'm sure alot of people got a laugh when I showed up with my baitcaster and 7 foot rod 15 yrs ago. My biggest advice to newer folks would be to invest in some good polarized glasses. Once you find where their holding, it's all about presentation. i saw a post on here about a pool where they won't take. Welcome to steelheading! They are either gamers or their not. If you can see them then I assume water is low and clear. Steelhead are spooky under these conditions. You need to go smaller and lighter with patterns and tippet. Also in my experience if you can't get a natural drift to them they won't take unless they are on reds (BEDS) during spawn. Try moving to a tailwater or riffle just above the pool. The fast water often makes them feel secure enough to take. Also, I am a huge fan of a book called the Steelhead Guide by Nagy. He is a local guy that started things around here. It shows a newbie everything except where fish are holding. Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited by noSnookinOh; 04-03-2011 at 11:40 PM.
noSnookinOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #49
FisherPro

Thanks for this thread it is great, lots of helpful info for a newbie!

FisherPro
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #50
fishin on the brain

? would it be wise to use a dead salted shiner on a jig head this time of year or ever
fishin on the brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #51
onAyak
Learning

Send a message via Yahoo to onAyak

Anyone have any luck fishing for steelhead from a kayak? I'm from Columbus and thinking of heading up that way. I was wondering if it's even worth the hassle of bringing my yak? Thanks
onAyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #52
rippin lip

i have been using a styrofoam bobber with the lead pin until i was discussing setup with a gentlemen i was fishing by.....he said you need a tall pencil bobber so you can make sure your bait is out in front of your bobber. pointing down river your bait is behind the bobber - pointed up stream bait is out front and you add splitshot up the leader to correct......that was last year and this year i have played around with depth weight etc and cannot figure this out, then i sit on the bank and watch a gentlemen land three fish in an hour with a six foot pole with a round clip on bobber with no weight at all just a jig head and also no leader???? i then feel like i am getting way to technical. so as to weight i should just make sure i am hitting bottom once in a while?
rippin lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #53
rippin lip

my current setup is pflueger president 10 bearing spinning reel on a 10'
6" ul slow action graphite st croix rod. im using 10lb siglon f main line to a micro swivel with a 8 lb 3 foot leader of trilene 100% fluorcarbon professional grade. i usually drift a black mini foo with maggots or a spawn sack pink or chartreuse on a egg knot and red #10 hook. i have used slip bobbers and strofoam lead bobbers as well as various splitshot from one to four.
is this setup good or what should i change - i know eventually i will land one, i just need to keep putting time in. i can say its all i think about lately
rippin lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #54
Danielle

Default New to Steelheads

Hello,
Does anyone thing that the fishing will be any good tomorrow or are the rivers going to be to high? Don't want to drive an hour for nothing.
Thanks,
Danielle
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #55
Birdie0067

Danielle...I just came from the Rocky River. Got home at 11:00am. Water was high, but receding. At 641 cu ft per sec. I would rather fish deeper water anyway. But what do I know because I didn't catch anything. Hahaha
Birdie0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #56
bigdady!!

hey man can u tell or post a pic of how u have ur egg sack (or if u use them) how u have ur weights all riged up because ive gona about 14 times and havent had a hit ive tryed eggs then tryed my own eggs.i need help bc i know theres fish were i am ive seen people pull fish out were i am fishing pleez help thanks.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #57
bigdady!!

danielle have u ever herd of this chart on the internet called usgs nere rocky river in bera it has a flow chart normally u wanna fish around 425 or lower.This chart is allways updated.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #58
LilSiman/Medina
Smallie Chasin' SOB

Private Water  

Total Awards: 1

Question: I follow thephilo on Blogspot and he uses spawn sacs. I realy like the idea of these and was wondering if they could be thrown on a fly rod? I'd rather use my fly pole the my smallie rig for these bruisers.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #59
thephildo0916

I've seen them used on a fly rod. You may want to tie them a little smaller to help cast better.

http://roewagon.blogspot.com/
thephildo0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #60
Fishman
Catch bait???

Send a message via AIM to Fishman

Phildo chucks spawn sacks off his Zebco 303 and a 5' 6" ugly stick and pounds the steels.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote