Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

CJ water temps

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #41
Intimidator
Banned

Dan, I'm betting on next week also I have a good feeling, the only thing that bothers me is the moon phase is wrong, it's calling for end of May, guess we'll see.....

luvtofish, fish anywhere along the rocks/rip-rap, the bank fishing at CJ can be tricky because the State went cheap and didn't put gravel in to stabilize the big rocks. You have to be part Mountain Goat to navigate sometimes, there is easier fishing in the Marina and that's why sometimes it can get crowded. When I really want to get away I go hiking to parts of the lake that can't be reached by driving.

Willie, Good Info looks like it didn't turn over and the temps somewhat stayed close to where they need to be. What you were doing was definitely better than what I was doing.......

Joe4, I bet that big one was fun to catch Thanks for the update and info, this weekend between storms should be a good one to add more WB to your freezer. What's you boat look like and I'll give you a holler....I'll be the small mountain goat with glasses and a black UA (UnderArmour) hat or driving an 05 silver GTO.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
Lovefishing

I haven't been out in a couple week's but IF the the Damn area is in the 60's and the Marina was in the mid 60's then the WB ARE stacked upped getting ready to hit the creek. I would suggest the North-end close to the rock wall that turns the creek out to the main lake if you have a boat. Plus the North end is usually 2-3 degree's warmer then the rest of the lake.
As for place's to fish along the bank away from the "Crowds" can I suggest fishing at the "Incomplete" boat ramp past the campgrounds. Nice gravel bottom and a decent drop off. Also the "Old Road bed" off of Route 4 offers some good fishing. The Grant road access gives some good cat fishing.
One word of advice for walking to the spots to fish is make SURE you have tick repellent on!! CJ is known for its nasty tick population and unfortunately it is the small nasty deer ticks. This year they seem to be REALLY bad, I've already pulled a dozen plus of my jeans mushroom hunting.
Lovefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #43
ur_averagejoe4
CJ WolfPack

Send a message via AIM to ur_averagejoe4 Send a message via Yahoo to ur_averagejoe4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Joe4, I bet that big one was fun to catch Thanks for the update and info, this weekend between storms should be a good one to add more WB to your freezer. What's you boat look like and I'll give you a holler....I'll be the small mountain goat with glasses and a black UA (UnderArmour) hat or driving an 05 silver GTO.
Yeah it was, I thought I had something else the way he was fighting on my UL rod. My GF was getting mad b/c she always beats me fishing, but yesterday I conquered. I took them home and had a hard time trying to fillet them, I need to research a little more. That big female was full of eggs when I cut her open, I got really nice sized fillets off of her. Also, I got poked by one of their spikes on my finger on the knuckle and it's still sore. It bled like crazy also.
ur_averagejoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #44
ur_averagejoe4
CJ WolfPack

Send a message via AIM to ur_averagejoe4 Send a message via Yahoo to ur_averagejoe4

BTW, I don't have a boat, yet. I've been looking real hard for one, don't want to spend too much on my first boat, just something to get around on.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #45
Intimidator
Banned

Lovefishing, Very good suggestions and tick advice, I also like hiking to the west side coves in the dead of summer to fish. We were at the creek on 4-24and it was dead and low, with the lake level being raised they might make it to the creek, it really looked like it was going to be a full lake spawn this year, like 2003 (I think).

Joe4, Well it's easier to look me up now...we're both Mountain Goating Getting that perfect fillet just takes time and practice and a SHARP flexible knife, I think the sharp flexible knife is most important.

Some people have asked about cooking/freezing fish;
I soak my fillets overnight in sea-salt water (kills bacteria, draws blood, kills strong tastes), then I'll drain and vacuum seal (I've had WB that was good after 2+ years) or prepare to cook.
If I'm cooking I soak the fillets in 1/2 and 1/2 (cream) and eggs about 1/2 hr, then drop into a plate of Hogkins Mill corn meal and then into Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fry until golden I have to make a separate batch for my wife because she likes Old Bay Fish Seasoning in the corn meal. Now I'm hungry.......
Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #46
cajun willie
95 cajun 160/w 115 rude

Lovefishing, is the rock wall your refering at the mouth of the creek where it feed into the lake. Never been up that far in the north end.

Intimidator, you ever go to the creek and fish for the white bass? I hv caught plenty up there but its always ya or na. Long drive from Fairborn, just for white bass. Gonna fish for them from the boat this year, that way if there not biting i can go for some crappies or maybe a smallie or two.
cajun willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #47
Intimidator
Banned

Willie, the rock wall is at the mouth of the creek and yes I have fished the bank twice during runs...... never again without a boat. The "pay-lake" fisherman and "illegals" ruined it for me, I enjoy fishing too much to put up with that again. I normally try to have about 150 WB in the freezer and I can do that from the rocks and enjoy it
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #48
ur_averagejoe4
CJ WolfPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun willie View Post
Kiddo and I are gonna be there Wed evening after school and work hope water temp holds.
Intimidator, good call on the new water.. if it does cool off, the 70's on Thur and Friday should help.
See yall there, we'll be going between the marina rocks and the dam rocks, all depends on the wind.
Was that you two that were fishing off the left side of the point down by the rocks, down by the visitor center yesterday?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #49
Intimidator
Banned

I'll be at the Marina on Friday (4-29) before dawn cranking for Walleye, after dawn I'll be on the move looking for WB and crappie, hoping to be back out after my son gets out of school also....... I was trying to get out tonight but I have to finish the yard/garden work before the rains start. Good luck to those that make it out
Brent
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
cajun willie
95 cajun 160/w 115 rude

Joe4, kid and I were in the maroon & silver bass boat. Think u were fishing on the point when we were pulling up to the rocks. Never caught those on anything black before, may have to put that in the arsenal.

I may have to find that rock wall, make sense that the fishing would be staging there. Any idea how deep the water is around that thing. That looks like a long boat ride with the no wake zone.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #51
NorthSouthOhioFisherman
The Young Outdoorsman

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 4

Send a message via AIM to NorthSouthOhioFisherman

Nice reports guys, if you talk this much on a forum I can't imagine what you would all talk about in a boat together LOL

IS IT TRUE THAT THE NINE INCH LIMIT GOES INTO EFFECT MAY 1st?

~Youtube Fishing Show~
~Fishing and Fun~
...ZINK CALLS...
NorthSouthOhioFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #52
ur_averagejoe4
CJ WolfPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun willie View Post
Joe4, kid and I were in the maroon & silver bass boat. Think u were fishing on the point when we were pulling up to the rocks. Never caught those on anything black before, may have to put that in the arsenal.
I think you guys were the ones going by slow right when we got there. Yeah, that minnow I use is grey and black on a black jig head.

Last edited by ur_averagejoe4; 04-29-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #53
Intimidator
Banned

Jonny, you're just jealous because we've been able to keep this going thru shad spawn and the start of WB spawn and hopefully thru crappie spawn You still coming down next week?

Willie, the rock wall is/was in shallow water and when the lake is full is barely visible. be careful and keep an eye on the depth gauge it's very shallow in spots.

Joe4, are you using Apex shad/minnies, I have good luck with them, those are the ones I take forceps to so they swim even better

We'll all have to get together and compare notes before the fun starts.........
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #54
Lovefishing

Yea I gave up trying to fish the creek when they closed off the west bank of the creek and it seemed every butthole in Springfield showed up and left their trash everywhere. If it rains like it suposed to this week-end the creek will be nice and full and they'll start as soon as the water starts rising.
Lovefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #55
NorthSouthOhioFisherman
The Young Outdoorsman

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 4

Send a message via AIM to NorthSouthOhioFisherman

I am jealous although after I fish fremont tonight, your gunna be the jealous one

I should be down next weekend, after all, it is mothers day

~Youtube Fishing Show~
~Fishing and Fun~
...ZINK CALLS...
NorthSouthOhioFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #56
warden

Whats the water temp? Thanks.
warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #57
reiner52

Default cj 4-29

fished from 8-3. wind sw water temps 60. only caught a couple small wb and crappie, drifting by the damn. talked to others no one did any good, scattered small wb. met MADFISHERMAN at the lake . nice man gonna take him out on the boat next week we get the storms over. good luck
reiner52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #58
Intimidator
Banned

Just got home WB are on .........

Started in the Marina at 5:45 am (moon is bright still), was cranking for Walleye with a black/silver Berkley frenzy/flicker shad, had a big hit and thought I had my record tying 11th Walleye, it was a 16" WB the thing fought huge........then caught my 2nd and 3rd WB on the crank and gave up fishing for Walleye, switched to the UL and a beetle spin with a BLACK JIGHEAD AND BLACK AND SILVER APEX SHAD. Caught 15 more WB off the Marina rocks and as I was walking to the car at about 7:00 a guy about my age asked what I was using to catch the fish, he said he needed to catch some fish for his families supper
Man, that just kills me so I gave him a beetle spin set-up and showed him what I was doing and he caught one...I gave him all 18 WB and went to the dam.
I hammered the WB at the dam, I tied on another Apex shad and was catching 2 at a time like Jonny I caught a 13" smallmouth and a 14" WB at the same time and didn't think I was going to get them in. Ended up catching 32 more WB and 6 crappie (no keepers but close 8 1/2 to 8 3/4). Stopped by and showed Pat, he then took the rest of the day off and is out there now at the dam.
Gonna start cleaning and will be going back out after Dale gets out of school. See you out there.........
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #59
ur_averagejoe4
CJ WolfPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Just got home WB are on .........

switched to the UL and a beetle spin with a BLACK JIGHEAD AND BLACK AND SILVER APEX SHAD. Caught 15 more WB off the Marina rocks
Gonna start cleaning and will be going back out after Dale gets out of school. See you out there.........

Your welcome about the black and silver minnow tip!! I'll be out there later with the misses, I have to wait for her to get off work, so in the meantime after I get off, she wants me to hang blinds!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #60
cajun willie
95 cajun 160/w 115 rude

Intimidator, good stuff dude...Kid and I will be there when he gets out of school. Depends on the wind as to where we go, marina or dam.

You guy see up give a yell.