Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Walleye Run 2014

Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #21
Jmsteele187

I use a braided main line. The low/no stretch lets me feel the bottom and bites far better than mono. As far as tackle, I only take what fits in my fishing vest. I pre-tie all my mono leaders with a lighter line than my main. That way when I get hung up, I just lose my jig not the whole rig. I also wrap them around a leader keeper. I keep an assortment of trolling sinkers in different weights in my vest too. The lower the water the lighter the weight and vise versa. I like the trolling weights because I can use two types and strengths of line with them. Again, a lighter mono leader line than my braided main line. I use the multi colored northland floating jigs. If the fish are keying in on specific colors, I'm more likely to have that color on my jig with multiple colors. And I always carry a lot of twister tails in a plethora of colors. The fish will key in on different colors at different times of the day, so I can change up throughout the day. And, I try to have a different color on than the guy fishing next to me.
I feel that with the setup I use I do my part to keep the river clean and my line on my reel. Not littering the bottom of the river creating endless snags.
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
oopsagain

cavities machined... need to finish hinge and make handle
oopsagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Dr. Walleye
Instagram: drwalleye

I like how JMSteele187 uses a lighter line below his attached weight on braided. That way a break-off is easy and does not clutter the river with braided line that becomes a snag patch. So many people cut braided snags at the tip and leave a mess for weeks. Nice work.
Dr. Walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
88luneke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Walleye View Post
I like how JMSteele187 uses a lighter line below his attached weight on braided. That way a break-off is easy and does not clutter the river with braided line that becomes a snag patch. So many people cut braided snags at the tip and leave a mess for weeks. Nice work.
I do the same on my steelhead rigs or anytime I need to use fluorocarbon. Saves A LOT of time, money, and mess.
88luneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #25
buckeyebowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead76 View Post
Most tire shops have contracts with recyclers that come in and collect all thier wheel wieghts. I have tried probably two dozen and got the same answer. Your best bet is a smaller car dealership that does not do large volume. Its crazy that 20 years ago most places were happy to give away lead. Now you have to beg to buy it.
Yeah! Don't you guys know that you are now dealing in a controlled substance? As the wicked witch of the west said as she was melting, "What world, what a world!"
buckeyebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
teacher

Don,

Glad to see you are getting that mold together.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Big Fish! Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresnagsalot View Post
so im new to the whole walleye run, I spent the money on great wadders last year but high water during my available free time kept me frome making the trip. ( love the wadders by the way I have them about wore out!) any how I would like to start collecting wat ever tackle I will need. I fish the tusc river from dover to coshocton, and indian lake quite often,( river and lake) I have a decent amount of lead head stuff but iv never really used floaters with egg sinkers. I hate to waste money on dumb stuff, im looking for some insight on the bare bones minimum as far as sinker weight jig grub color. is there some stuff I will need no matter wat or would it be best for me to just go a buy wat ever the bait shop recommends for the water levels at that time? I will only get to go for like two days, but would like to start going every year. thanks alot for any advice!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Floating jigg heads,every color you want esp. Chartreuse,pink,whit, orange,black 2 and 3 inch curly tail jigs, 10-12 lbs line, I like fireline. Want weight to bounce bottom and float that bait back up about1-2 ft off bottom.. Not only do curly tails work but Gulp bait on a smaller floating jig head. Oh yeah don't get them huge bubble gum floating heads there to big! My own way is I tie a Carolina rig up ....weight on bottom bait up... And watch for snags.
Flingnsting1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #28
My Demeyes

An old timer told me of a cheap floater, use colored foam ear plugs on a long shank hook in place of a floating jig, never tried it but I don't see how it wouldn't work.
My Demeyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Demeyes View Post
An old timer told me of a cheap floater, use colored foam ear plugs on a long shank hook in place of a floating jig, never tried it but I don't see how it wouldn't work.
There ya go.. I don't see why not either.
Flingnsting1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
oopsagain

Update: Down to making the handles..
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #31
trapperjon

Quote:
i'd try them at home first, the type we have at work swell up like a sponge
trapperjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #32
9Left

Quote:
thats a good idea for a home made floater..but really, ive never found ear plugs anywhere that dont break down in cost to less than 50 cents each, floating jigheads at maumeetackle are about the same price.
9Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #33
Flathead76
Carp53.65

Some guys just use a baitholder style hook and use a single styrofoam float like used in a crawler harness. You can buy them in bulk from hagens pretty cheap in bulk. Have seen people catch fish with this set up instead of a floating jighead.
Flathead76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #34
fisherboy

Or you can be cheap & pick up the ones floating by. I estimate I have enought for "forever". & yes I do catch a few WE each yr.
fisherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #35
Mr. A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherboy View Post
Or you can be cheap & pick up the ones floating by. I estimate I have enough for "forever". & yes I do catch a few WE each yr.
Seriously, I'll do this when I go up there as well. I bet I skimmed 2 dozen of them off the water in 3 full days. Probably won't buy any this year since I quit using the ones I bought and used the one I found last year! Sinkers, that's what will cost me most!

Mr. A
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #36
swantucky

I have done the same thing as some of you from time to time, trying to stretch a buck. I get it. However for you guys that may only fish a couple days, with having gas and other costs involved.... Do yourself a favor and bring the best rod/reel combo you can afford/borrow and spend the $20 it will cost to buy the right tackle. You can catch fish on about anything on certian days but most of the time you have to have the right color/size/weight combo to have any fun. Get the right shit, catch your fish, and either heckle your buddies or scrouge for gear for the next trip the rest of the day. Don't waste a trip trying to fish with junk. jmo
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #37
oopsagain

'tucky is abolutely correct. There is no subsitute for quality tackle.. I've let friends use borrow mine cause I know what they are using isn't gonna cut it.. they to a man can't believe the difference in what they can feel.. The one guy is an avid bass fisher and he even said his tackle doesn't match that rivers conditions
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
oopsagain

Mould is done!!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #39
9Left

Big Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantucky View Post
I have done the same thing as some of you from time to time, trying to stretch a buck. I get it. However for you guys that may only fish a couple days, with having gas and other costs involved.... Do yourself a favor and bring the best rod/reel combo you can afford/borrow and spend the $20 it will cost to buy the right tackle. You can catch fish on about anything on certian days but most of the time you have to have the right color/size/weight combo to have any fun. Get the right shit, catch your fish, and either heckle your buddies or scrouge for gear for the next trip the rest of the day. Don't waste a trip trying to fish with junk. jmo

I kinda disagree....IMO,..weight is really the only key factor in hooking fish.. (IMO)...I catch em just the same without using jig bodies..just use floaters...the fish are either there or they are not, your rig is either gonna float across they're face ,or it isn't....at best, spring run fishing is nothing more than proffessionally snagging fish in the mouth. Don't get me wrong, I like it just as much as the next guy does. But definitely would not bring high end gear and label it as a skill.Last year we took a 12 yr old with a zebco rod(from shore of course, not
Wading), she had her limit in 2 hours.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #40
9Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherboy View Post
Or you can be cheap & pick up the ones floating by. I estimate I have enought for "forever". & yes I do catch a few WE each yr.
.that's not being cheap at all!! That's being smart....that's Exactlyy what I use..floating heads I find or snag on the river..they work just the same..sometimes I buy a few also..but no need to buy a lot