Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Walleye Run 2014

Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
oopsagain

Default Walleye Run 2014

Started pouring egg sinkers today.http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...19140640_n.jpg

Even got to prove out 5/8ths oz egg mold I made
oopsagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Flathead76
Carp53.65

You my friend have an early case of winter blues. If you like pouring lead try pouring some trolling sinkers for the run. You can purchase crane swivels through hagens to save money over janns or maumee bait and tackle. You will loose less sinkers if you decide to give it a try. The egg sinkers in a production mold are very fast to pour once you get pouring. Nice sinkers btw.
Flathead76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
PARK92
fish breath

that was fast lol. its january!!!
PARK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
nooffseason
On the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead76 View Post
You my friend have an early case of winter blues. If you like pouring lead try pouring some trolling sinkers for the run. You can purchase crane swivels through hagens to save money over janns or maumee bait and tackle. You will loose less sinkers if you decide to give it a try. The egg sinkers in a production mold are very fast to pour once you get pouring. Nice sinkers btw.

Why will you lose more sinkers with the egg weights than swivel sinkers? Just curious on your philosophy there. I've fished both for years and really prefer the egg sinkers. The only trolling sinkers I use are those that I pull from the river bottom in nasty snags.

By the way, those are looking good!
nooffseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Flathead76
Carp53.65

Slimmer profile
Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
oopsagain

I have read all the arguments on which sinkers are better.. I like fishing the egg sinker best for all the same reasons others like what they like. they work and get stuck no more and no less than trolling sinkers.. I like the direct contact with the jig and no weight to dampen the feel of getting a hit.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
PARK92
fish breath

Not to mention egg weights are cheaper and you're going to lose weights regardless of anything. Unless you use 40 lb test and rip the rocks off the bottom
PARK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Redhunter1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsagain View Post
I have read all the arguments on which sinkers are better.. I like fishing the egg sinker best for all the same reasons others like what they like. they work and get stuck no more and no less than trolling sinkers.. I like the direct contact with the jig and no weight to dampen the feel of getting a hit.
Hey don, if you need some lead, let me know buddy
Redhunter1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
oopsagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhunter1012 View Post
Hey don, if you need some lead, let me know buddy
I know I will need once I get this mould completed... Way to many requests for my supply.. I will have to have replacement lead at least I hope to get some time this week... but that's a hope
Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
suresnagsalot

so im new to the whole walleye run, I spent the money on great wadders last year but high water during my available free time kept me frome making the trip. ( love the wadders by the way I have them about wore out!) any how I would like to start collecting wat ever tackle I will need. I fish the tusc river from dover to coshocton, and indian lake quite often,( river and lake) I have a decent amount of lead head stuff but iv never really used floaters with egg sinkers. I hate to waste money on dumb stuff, im looking for some insight on the bare bones minimum as far as sinker weight jig grub color. is there some stuff I will need no matter wat or would it be best for me to just go a buy wat ever the bait shop recommends for the water levels at that time? I will only get to go for like two days, but would like to start going every year. thanks alot for any advice!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
suresnagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
mlayers

Hey suresnagsalot where are you from. I live in Montpelier and make it to the river aorund a dz time. I pour my own sinkers and I would be will to give you a few to help you out. As for the floating heads I would recommend the Red and also the Green heads. to start with unless you think you would like some other colors. The sinkers that I pour is the trolling sinkers. Use 12# line on your reel and then then use 8# onto your lure. Then if and when you snag up most of the time you will only lose your lure.
mlayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
suresnagsalot

thanks for the tips! im from new phila area ,bout two or more ours frome the river. I have familly near limma kenton area I stay with often.my line of work is tied to the weather so its hard to make plans il just go fhe first chance at good time for river. it would be awesome to go with some one with experience tho. I cant help but think there will be other places were those same tactics will be effective once learned.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Mr. A

Suresnagsalot, I too use minimal tackle during the run. I wasted a lot of energy taking too much with me the first year....lesson learned. If it helps I will be taking a main rod and a back up just in case. I carry red, white, and green floating jig heads. I bought the cabelas walleye jig kit and did great with what came in it. The colors that worked best for me were chart, white, red/white, and Orange of all colors. I usually don't carry more than a dozen of any one color potter day. (refill as needed at night)

Aside from that I carry egg sinkers from .5oz to 1.5oz depending on the current. I will tie about a dozen 24" leaders (so I can adjust from there down) using 8# mono on a good swivel. Everything fits in a small shoulder bag and no mess in the boat. I also have more room for food, drinks, and "emergency materials" just in case.

Mr. A
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
DeathFromAbove

suresnagsalot- try going online and finding Maumee Tackle. Give them a call and you can probably order online whatever you need. They make most of their living off the river runs. Also look up Jann's Netcraft. Pretty simple setups. Egg sinker, plastic bead, barrel swivel and floating jig heads. Garys prices at Maumee Tackle are very competitive, especially for floating heads.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
suresnagsalot

ok thanks much ! not only have you given me pointers but u have gave me an exscuse to make the trip to cabbelas. thats awesome I can fit all that stuff in the front pouch of my wadders I bet.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
weasel

I like using 1/4 once slip shots 2 to 3 on the line and you are back into the fishing a lot quicker and you can adjust your leader length in a hurry. my second choice is the trolling sinkers that do seem to hang up a little less as far as line 10lb stren the regular purple clear good luck just and other idea to try.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Captain Kevin

Fished between the bridges today. Little chilly but hey, it is January. had my limit in about 15 minutes..............just kidding. It won't be long though. Keep pouring that lead. If you can find old sections of lead water line, that is the softest, and easiest pouring lead you can use. Ask your local plumbers, and municipality water plants if they any laying around.

Avian-X Decoys

Zink Calls

Playin' Hooky Custom Lures

Lonesome Hen Custom Calls
Captain Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
BFG

The shortest leader I ever use is about 20"...and that is when the water is roaring 585' or more. When it gets down to 580-ish....out come the long leads...especially if the water clears.

Use whatever sinker gets you results. I don't like the trolling sinkers b/c they are a helluva lot more expensive than egg sinkers, but to each his own. You don't need the bead. I used to use them...have not for the last 4 or 5 years now and have noticed no difference at all.

I have a sinker daddy that I can call to fix me up when I start to run out. I do think that a 5/8oz egg sinker would be really nice, but that weight can also be hit by adding split shot to halves and three eighths. Some days...it can make all the difference in the world.

Color of head/tail can make a big difference from day to day. If you aren't catching fish when others around you are...pay attention to what they are doing/using and don't hesitate to switch it up.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
oopsagain

I tried local tire shop.. no dice.. they have to account for it or something.. Owner is afraid it may be used for bullets.. No kidding that's what I was told..

I did get one half of mould made.. It looks pretty good.. hope to machine other half the end of the week.. then its the hinge holes and handle..
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #20
Flathead76
Carp53.65

Most tire shops have contracts with recyclers that come in and collect all thier wheel wieghts. I have tried probably two dozen and got the same answer. Your best bet is a smaller car dealership that does not do large volume. Its crazy that 20 years ago most places were happy to give away lead. Now you have to beg to buy it.