Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

lowrance elite 7 install

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
KPI

Default lowrance elite 7 install

well i just got from ups my new lowrance unit!!!but my question is who is best to take the unit to to install it for me???? i want it installed in a hard top electronics box it has to be run though a pipe and all that, i also want the unit to have the transducer mounted to a transom saver block, i also do not want to loose signal at speed i hear guys marking at 35 mph with there lowrance units!!! i was thinking vics because they do all the rangers and alot of tourny guys boats but the issue, is i have the boat a 24 hydra sport in marblehead area. and that is a long haul to pull it there!!! Any one have first hand experince that can tell me some one they used in that area or should i just take it to vics because they have installed alot of units thank you
KPI is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
rockytop

give Steve a call at southshore in Huron its a lot closer.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
heatemup
go green

harry at right way marine.. right there in marblehead.. great guy
heatemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
KPI

Default elite 7

have you used either guy for electronics install ????
KPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
heatemup
go green

harry installed a vhf radio for me. along with some other electrical work with the bilge and batteries.. if you need a number let me know
heatemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
privateer
Fishin-For-Fun

Do it yourself, its not difficult AND you will then know that it is done right. I took on a complicated SIMRAD (same as Lowrance just for bigwater/bigboat market) install last year in my Baha and it worked first time turned on... (I should post the pics so others can enjoy the fun I had with this project) Its not much more difficult than installing a car audio system and I did everything -- sounders, autopilot, radios, radar, and more. All the components are plug-and-play. Power is your only issue - make sure you have enough power supplied through the correct cable size.

If you are just installing a head unit and sounder(s), you should be able to do this in a few hours yourself. Here, I would run the power supply directly to the electronics battery (you should have 2-banks on a 24-foot boat, crank and electronics, if not you will get dirty power and electronics may not work as well). In this case i would also use the inline fuse to the head unit.

On my boat where I needed many power pulls and common grounds, I simplified installation by pulling two isolated 50amp fused power systems to the location of my installation and then connected all the electronics into these power panels. Since was on 30foot boat, i put all electronics on the bulkhead in the head (driest location on boat). Otherwise, would have to run everything back to batteries and do inline fuses (tough to locate blown fuse while pitching on lake with many inlines...)

I plan to upgrade electronics on my 18' Alumacraft this year too and plan to redo factory/dealer installs as they did some really stupid stuff w/r to grounding. The Baha had grounding issues too that i resolved. Mfgs and dealers especially take great shortcuts when grounding for some reason...

How well you mark fish is also dependent on the transducer and sounder installed. Yes, I can mark fish at cruising speed (about 30mph) but i have installed the SIMRAD B265LH Broadband Transducer into the BSM-2 broadband sounder module. Not sure what Lowrance is supplying these days with this unit but did see that they have combined sidescan with depth sounder into a single unit on the newer touchscreen systems. I have also seen issues with sounders when connected to power coming from cranking battery - lots of noise on screen.

Last edited by privateer; 03-25-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: correction to amp rating
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
FreeByrdSteve

Ken we are booked up most likely longer than you will want to wait. Mike Taylor Taylor Marine in Vermilion would do a good job.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
privateer
Fishin-For-Fun

uploaded some pics in my album area.

one important thing to remember when wiring DC is that the distance is the ROUND TRIP from the power supply (battery) and then back and not the one way distance like in AC power. you must have wire rated for the correct amps and distance to fuse panel. fuse panel to device is device specific and that wire is typically supplied by the vendor.

i found this book to be helpful: 3rd edition, Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, by Nigel Calder

also BlueSea Systems web site and literature has some great tools and info that helps too.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Jason Pelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeByrdSteve View Post
Ken we are booked up most likely longer than you will want to wait. Mike Taylor Taylor Marine in Vermilion would do a good job.
I was going to text you the same answer in the morning. I was told he does excellent work.
Jason Pelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
DanO6961

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 2

Kenny-

If you decide to tackle this yourself let me know. I will help you if I am able. I installed my HDS-10 and through hull xducer on my Pursuit a couple springs ago myself. Not that big of a deal. Let me know, Bro!

DanO