Planning on heading to Gneva on Friday & Saturday. Looking at the weather forecasts, Saturday definately looks like the better of the two days. I've been looking at the marine forecasts and the weeather forecasts and was looking for some more experienced opinions on Friday.
NOAA is calling for <1' both days. Friday is showing 50% or better chances of thunderstorms earlier in the day.
I am new to fishing Lake Erie and was wondering if I would be better off passing on Friday all together.
I know nobody can predict what the conditions are going to be exactly, but just some insight wether or not they would chance going up early on Friday or not with their experience. I have been boating my entire life, not just on Erie.
We generally pass on days where thunderstorms are 40% or better chance especially if forecast in morning.If afternoon storms at predicted especially pop up type with hot day we try to be off water by 12-1.If any doubt we error on side of caution.Experience plays a big part in decision as well,lot of the guys here have a lot more experience and go out when we choose not to.Lake Erie commands respect that few other bodies of water do.Good luck and be safe.
I dont usually make a decision until around 24 hours ahead of time, and always check the winds and direction (first alert 19 action news app, on my phone) they have an hourly report upto 24 hours in advance, its usually pretty close. But nothings perfect and siding with safety first is my best rule.if u are going for walleye pay much closer attention cause they are so far out but if perching you wouldnt be that far from safety. Just my opinion
A mile or two of shore/ harbor VS 10 miles out dictates what you do. Do you have wireless radar information in your pocket or on your boat?? If not then don't go with storms forecast for early Friday. These are going to be some strong storms from the looks of things.
Thanks for everyones help. I think we are gonna cancel the early morning trip. We will probably head up late morning and see if we can get out in the afternoon since we have a hotel reservation for Friday night.
Looks like saturday will be better chance.
Plan on going for walleye, but pearch is an option depending on the conditions.
We have our boat at Conny and planed to go up tomorrow as well. I do have radar on phone and weather warnings. But they have sever storms broad casted for Friday pretty much all day. So we''ll go this weekend or 1st of the weeks. Learned a while back NOAA is just predictions always followed with except around storms. And they are seldom right. If the winds out of the west or north and 15 or over it will be rough. South and east are pretty protected for the first 5-6 miles or better.
To morrow their only calling for 1-2's till storms hit, but winds out of the north/ west at 10 or less knots but changing to 10-15 out of the north and could get rough quick. 62 % chance of storms till 8:00 in the morning and going to 57% chance till 8:00 at night. So make sense out of that.
We figure any thing above 50 is a pretty good chance. Also we have a 2 hour drive. But it would be a lot different if I lived closer i guess. Sure be nice if they would update the Conny area with a buoy giving wave height.