Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

White albino squirrels ???

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
taxiecab

Default White albino squirrels ???

Yes I know this is a fishing site but I have a question about white albino squirrels maybe some one can give me some help or where to go for it.

I have a tree in my back yard that is full of dens for squirrels and some birds. I noticed that a adult white squirrel had taken a den and there were also two gray squirells that had dens in the tree too.
I now have one adult white squirrel and 3 white baby squirrels in the tree now. One den has 2 white and one gray and the other den so far has shown one gray and one white. So now I have 4 white squirrels in my tree and as near as I can tell they are all albinos. I guessed that the adult white was a male and matted with the two gray females in the tree.
Is the a rare thing or is it common?? The computer said albinos are like 1 to 100,000 chance and I have 3 new ones in one tree. If you know any thing about albinos or who I could talk to let me know please.
taxiecab is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Bad Bub
Pushin' Tin

I would say that is as rare as you'll find.....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
SMBHooker

I've not seen an albino squirrel since before my teens.

They are rare but not unheard of by any means. 4 in one location is rare for sure though!! Very cool!

Upload some pics if you can???

Sent from . . . off and over there.
SMBHooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
radar3321

Wow I love hunting squirrels. What i would give to see a white albino one!!

radar3321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
tadluvadd

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 2

Ive only seen one in my lifetime
tadluvadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

ive seen one at a sportsman show mounted, but never any alive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1

Last edited by ezbite; 04-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
onemorecastt

Seen one on the golf course that was a fox squirrel color on the front half and grey on the other....like he was dipped in grey paint, it was years ago and I wish I had pictures..never a white one though

onemorecastt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
oldstinkyguy

Just north of Morrow along the Little Miami I see a white squirrel every now and again.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
All Eyes
Pass the beer nuts

There is a breed of white squirrel (not albinos) that are scattered around here and there. A few of the known places to see them are in Ontario Canada, Brevard, NC, and Realfoot Lake State Park in Tennesee. There are probably many other locations where they thrive as well.
Not saying that the squirrels you are speaking of aren't albino, but the breed that I've seen like the one in the pic have normal eyes. I think all the albinos have red eyes.
My family used to camp at Realfoot Lake TN and they were everywhere down there. They used to come up and beg around the picnic tables. My grandfather was an artist and used to paint them while we were there. They are snow white and stand out like crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Lounge - Click for larger version  
All Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
Gills63

In northwest ohio we seem to get a lot of regional variations in squirrels. I believe Bowling Green has a lot of black ones and the town of Arcadia has grey fox squirrels (or maybe vice versa) I always thought it was strange has I grew up between these two and all I had were plain old reds.

And from what I understand of genetics, despite the odds of finding an albino animal, if there is one there's a good chance of having several.

Last edited by Gills63; 04-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Gills63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
zuk1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiecab View Post
Yes I know this is a fishing site but I have a question about white albino squirrels maybe some one can give me some help or where to go for it.

I have a tree in my back yard that is full of dens for squirrels and some birds. I noticed that a adult white squirrel had taken a den and there were also two gray squirells that had dens in the tree too.
I now have one adult white squirrel and 3 white baby squirrels in the tree now. One den has 2 white and one gray and the other den so far has shown one gray and one white. So now I have 4 white squirrels in my tree and as near as I can tell they are all albinos. I guessed that the adult white was a male and matted with the two gray females in the tree.
Is the a rare thing or is it common?? The computer said albinos are like 1 to 100,000 chance and I have 3 new ones in one tree. If you know any thing about albinos or who I could talk to let me know please.
There has been quite a few in middletown for past 15 years or so .We had a family of about 7 or so in our old neiborhood about 15 yrs ago .
zuk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Shortdrift

There are a lot of them at Fort Ticonderoga NY as well as in Lewistown which is South of the fort. I have never observed any with pink or red colored eyes. Most were slightly larger than a mature Grey Squirrel.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
sherman51

first i would like to say i think this is a sportsman forum and not just a fishing forum. and i dont know about others but i love hearing about things like white squirrels and white deer. and usely they are very good threads. i had never even heard about a white one. i grew up in tenn and did alot of hunting. moved to indiana when i was 14 and hunted for many years. so its really neat to hear about all the white ones.

and were all waiting to see markfish,s big white turtle,LOL.
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
MIKE*A

ditto what AllEyes said.....there was actually an article in the DDN a number of years ago about these squirrels.....according to the article, a member of the Patterson family raised all types of squirrels on their farm near thekettering/Dayton/oakwood border......when this member died,the family released all of the squirrels
And because of that, there is a decent population of white squirrels in this area....

Mike
MIKE*A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
All Eyes
Pass the beer nuts

Here is a story with pics and a video regarding white squirrels and their locations.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/29067
All Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
7thcorpsFA

Location: N. Kentucky. In the middle of nowhere with my Old Lady and a packa dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Eyes View Post
There is a breed of white squirrel (not albinos) that are scattered around here and there. A few of the known places to see them are in Ontario Canada, Brevard, NC, and Realfoot Lake State Park in Tennesee. There are probably many other locations where they thrive as well.
Not saying that the squirrels you are speaking of aren't albino, but the breed that I've seen like the one in the pic have normal eyes. I think all the albinos have red eyes.
My family used to camp at Realfoot Lake TN and they were everywhere down there. They used to come up and beg around the picnic tables. My grandfather was an artist and used to paint them while we were there. They are snow white and stand out like crazy.
I killed one that looked exactly like that one. With black eyes and solid white body. It was in Bracken Co. KY. about 25 years ago. The area was dominated by huge fox squirrels and a few grays. Also took a bow shot at a multicolored squirrel, Brown, white, and black on the same ridge. It looked like a squirrel in beagle clothes. Arrow nearly cut his back foot off, but I missed. These squirrels were not as large as the Fox type, so they may have been some oddball type of gray. Have never seen one anywhere else.
7thcorpsFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Send a message via AIM to Mushijobah

See them all over the place in Columbus.
Mushijobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
nturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk1972 View Post
There has been quite a few in middletown for past 15 years or so .We had a family of about 7 or so in our old neiborhood about 15 yrs ago .
I see these pretty regularly in Middletown too. Spend enough time there and you'll see them.
nturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
leupy

One or two in my yard about every day.
leupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
MassillonBuckeye
Bed Yagi

Total Awards: 1

I dunno but I have a buddy who has a pond with the biggest White Squirrel living in there that you ever did see... He's asking me if I can get rid of it for him.. Any suggestions?
MassillonBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote