Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

Buckeye Slabssss

Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Send a message via MSN to KWaller
Default Buckeye Slabssss

Well, I haven't posted a report in a while for buckeye lake although I have been fishing everyday. Reason? The crappie tourny was april 21 in which I fished in and bombed it lol got like 15th or 16th place... smh...
Anyways I have caught some hogs with multiple pound and a half fish and 14 inch fish. I am gonna post pics of the past 2 or 3 weeks.
The pic of me and the heavy camo was from today. I went out in the brutal weather and spider rigged 3 to 5 fow and did ok.
Most of these fish I have picture were taken in shallow lily pads using a crappie pro chartreuse original skirted body or chartreuse wassopah. I also used the crazy angler slab bandits the same style. No minnows for this guy, except today lol. I haven't kept a crappie this year except four select fish for a buddy. I am big on catch and release crappie, I will not keep a guard male or a female with eggs, nor will I let anyone fishin with me. Well here are my pics!

Central Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing ReportsCentral Ohio Fishing Reports

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
KWaller is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
DelawareAngler

Nice man! I could have used a few of those on Delaware today lol
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Buckeye5
Just get me Outdoors

Nice!! I don't recall getting that phone call! That dual spider rig setup looks pretty sweet!
Buckeye5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Haha we'll be out today! When are you gonna set your boat up with the spider rig set up!?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Saugeyefisher

Nice job kwaller, but one ?. What is a difference in keeping a female with eggs or without eggs? When you keep them without eggs Ur takeing out a spawner regardless if its spawning at that time or not? Just curious?
Saugeyefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
jshbuckeye

Send a message via Yahoo to jshbuckeye

When they are ready to spawn easier to catch, an ready to drop her eggs he is just giving her that last chance then he will keep her afterwards. Thats always been my take on it anyways, personally legal caught fish if im keeping that day sorry about its luck male or female.

Walleye Saugeye or Crappie anyway you fillet it thats good eating
jshbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Exactly what jshbuckeye said except the last part... Last year I caught a 15 inch female with eggs in some top secret pads I have , the fish had a huge mouth and was about 2lbs but I let her go due to the fact she could have upwards of 140,000 eggs, even if 2% of her offspring survive ill take it. Because that is still 2,800 crappie added to the population, but chances are 1/2 will die from natural cause or saugeye/bass/wiper etc. I fished the same pads this year and had a large 16" female full of eggs pop off that I would have guess to be a lil over 2lbs, probably the same fish IMO. I guess I feel like I need to do my own share of releasing my fish I catch due to the amount of crappie kept each year on buckeye. However there is nothing wrong with keeping them, I am just a c&r type crappie fisherman (I fish for crappie with the idea of bass fishing management you could say.) Being only 15 I c&r them so when I come back to buckeye when I'm 35 there will still be some fish left I release the males aswell because they are the only things to protect those eggs at their most vulnerable state. I actually think that throwing back guard/nest males is more important then tossing back the females with eggs. I guess I'm a lil paranoyed about crappie reproducing succesfully!
Well, heading out soon to do some wiper, saugeye, and crappie fishing! Will report later!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Saugeyefisher

Cool, Just wondering, to each there own, i respect that you throwem back for sure! I also dont keep nearly as many as fish as i catch. But have never worried about takeing a spawner if i am keeping them, just because imo dont think it matters if that females taken out now or in august. Please dont take this as bashing or anything in that matter, just cuirous to ur thoughts on it,and aprectiate the reply! You are one heck of a crappie fisherman, and respect your thoughts. especialy the one were you caught the same fish spawning twice in two yrs, thats awesome. LOL you need to take me out an catch a 16 inch crappie,lol think my biggest is only 12-13 inches.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
KWaller
BASS prodigy

I know your not bashing, I'm not as sensitive as others on here lmao! Ill show you my crappie tactics if you can show me how to catch all them 'eyes.
Well, went out for a few hours. Fished brighter colored tubes on a 1/48oz leadhead under a cork. With yesterdays clouds and dark weather, todays sun was like shining a flashlight in their eyes so nearly all my fish were shade related. Caught a lot of fish mainly whites with about 60% having no eggs. The 3 of us got about 50 or so crappie so not a bad day by any means. Biggest was a 13 inch white female with some eggs in her still.Central Ohio Fishing Reports

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Saugeyefisher

Lets do it! pm me an will hook up anytime! Nice fish again!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
MDBuckeye

Nice work Kyle!
I met the guys who won the tourney over at Buckeye on the 21st at the OGF tourney. They were pretty cool guys.

I'm looking to try and add a big fish to my crappie resume yet this Spring. My biggest is probably in the 13-14" range I would guess. We didn't get a measurement from the .92 lb one that was our biggest this weekend at the tourney but I don't think it was all that long.

I need to get out over there at Buckeye with you sometime so you can show me the ropes fishing in the pads.
MDBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
fished-out

If it was a black, probably 11.5-12.5 inches. If a white, probably 12-13".
fished-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Is this a crappie? Central Ohio Fishing Reports

Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Dovans

aww come on..you know better... Thats a saugeye..
Dovans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Saugeyefisher

LOLOLOL im not sure what it is, But i would pm and ask derek(stratos93) Hes mastered them nasty things since last october..... They must be some sort of precious fish though cause i recall hearing back in november "dude wade in the water to net it,and ill just take you home to get warm clothes" LOL an this was in december!!!!!!

Bet that thing pulled u around!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
93stratosfishnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugeyefisher View Post
LOLOLOL im not sure what it is, But i would pm and ask derek(stratos93) Hes mastered them nasty things since last october..... They must be some sort of precious fish though cause i recall hearing back in november "dude wade in the water to net it,and ill just take you home to get warm clothes" LOL an this was in december!!!!!!

Bet that thing pulled u around!

Bobby's just mad he didnt have a fish over 5lbs grace his pole this fall/ winter/ spring... man this is becoming a funk bobby... meanwhile i had 5 eyes over the 5lb range and 7 carp that broke the 8 lb range...
93stratosfishnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Saugeyefisher

Talking

Now now now, i dont put a scale to fish i know arnt gonna touch 10, An on the carp, you can have them all, id rather get skunked.. One on my measlye 23 inch fish(couldnt break 23 last fall winter) could have pushed 5. LOL considering it was ur first fall going for eyes I figured id let u touch all the big fish.......

LOL i didnt weigh any of my wipers either prob. hit close to ten of those going 5 plus.........

You just wait im swithing to braid for the fall bite an ill be able to catch big fish like you do

kwaller look what you started, and ur the one that caught the ugly thing

How many slap crappies you get today????
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugeyefisher View Post
Now now now, i dont put a scale to fish i know arnt gonna touch 10, An on the carp, you can have them all, id rather get skunked.. One on my measlye 23 inch fish(couldnt break 23 last fall winter) could have pushed 5. LOL considering it was ur first fall going for eyes I figured id let u touch all the big fish.......

LOL i didnt weigh any of my wipers either prob. hit close to ten of those going 5 plus.........

You just wait im swithing to braid for the fall bite an ill be able to catch big fish like you do

kwaller look what you started, and ur the one that caught the ugly thing

How many slap crappies you get today????
Haha sorry! I just wanted to report this rare catch! Lol and none today, sometimes you just have to get some extra sleep