Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Trucks, Cars, Bikes and Trailers >

diesel owners- should I buy a 2nd car to save $$?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
boatnut

Default diesel owners- should I buy a 2nd car to save $$?

Ok, all you analytical types. I have an '02 ford diesel with 7.3 and 215K on it. Love the truck, need something to tow my boat and occasionally something bigger like my bobcat, so don't really wanna get rid of the truck. I am, however, tired of paying close to $4 a gallon for diesel fuel when gas is just a hair over $3 bucks. I probably fill up once a week at $110 a crack.

Would it make any sense to buy a used gasser (car) that got say like 30mpg and maybe pay $5k for it and drive it whenever I don't need to tow anything? I know i'd have loss of interest on the $5k (pay cash), additional insurance, tires, maintenance, repairs etc.

Help me do the math. I'm thinking I could buy a heck of a lotta diesel fuel for what i'd have in a second used car. Maybe I'm wrong?

If there was a 1/2 ton truck out there that got an honest 25mpg highway then i'd consider selling my truck.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Fish_Heads
Never enough time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
Ok, all you analytical types. I have an '02 ford diesel with 7.3 and 215K on it. Love the truck, need something to tow my boat and occasionally something bigger like my bobcat, so don't really wanna get rid of the truck. I am, however, tired of paying close to $4 a gallon for diesel fuel when gas is just a hair over $3 bucks. I probably fill up once a week at $110 a crack.

Would it make any sense to buy a used gasser (car) that got say like 30mpg and maybe pay $5k for it and drive it whenever I don't need to tow anything? I know i'd have loss of interest on the $5k (pay cash), additional insurance, tires, maintenance, repairs etc.

Help me do the math. I'm thinking I could buy a heck of a lotta diesel fuel for what i'd have in a second used car. Maybe I'm wrong?

If there was a 1/2 ton truck out there that got an honest 25mpg highway then i'd consider selling my truck.
I have 2 diesel pickups & feel your pain. I run an older Honda accord I bought off a member here on OGF that gets 31 mpg & fills up for $35 a week.........I was putting about $125 per week in my pick up to go the same distance..........do the math..........I save about $90 per week using my beater accord which I have about a $1500 investment in total.

I only get the trucks out when I need them.........not for general commuting.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Skippy

I mite be wrong and it woulden't be the first time but in my eyes theres more to it then "dollars".
Take a ride to a junk yard and see how many full size pickups are in there. Now look at alllll thoes small cars. Yea,, I know, it only happens to the other guy.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Snakecharmer

Park the diesel and buy a car for transportaion. You won't have to buy a new truck so soon and you willl save money. Get the right tool for the job!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
crappiedude

Buy the car. I've been looking for that 25 mpg pick up truck for 40 almost years.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Fish_Heads
Never enough time......

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I mite be wrong and it woulden't be the first time but in my eyes theres more to it then "dollars".
Take a ride to a junk yard and see how many full size pickups are in there. Now look at alllll thoes small cars. Yea,, I know, it only happens to the other guy.
You didn't take into account that there is a huge difference in the amount of cars on the road compared to full size trucks. Family's now have multiple vehicles & it's only natural that more cars are in the junkyards than trucks because of the sheer number of cars in ratio to full size trucks.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of registered vehicles to know the actual numbers of each.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
Jim Stedke

Mike,You know what I run back and forth to the lake in (Prius). The fuel savings from the gas suburban make the Prius payments.

Just make sure the trolling rods and the fish box will fit in the puddle jumper. Intrest on savings is 1% (That's not worth talkin about)
Jim Stedke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Burks

I say it is definitely worth it. It all depends on what you can find that you will like for $5k. If you wait long enough, that $5k can stretch to a fairly decent car. If you have some mechanical ability, a fixer upper is right up your ally. A friend buys cars all the time from people for $1-$2k because they "don't run". Simple things like a fuel pump, alternator, etc is all that is needed. Of course he sells them but you can see my point.

Another friend bought a fairly decent 1990 Honda Accord for like $750. Little rust but it's a winter beater. He fills up like once a month, I burn through that (in a compact car mind you) in less than two weeks......car gets insane gas mileage.
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
chris311

my work truck is a 06 dodge dually with the 5.9 cummins and a bully dog system gets 31mpg and 27 when pulling a 24ft trailer and my beater truck gets 16 on a good day and its a v6 explorer its cheaper to drive diesel for me
chris311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
wajski
pipefitter120

put the $5kdown on a new car, fin the rest at .0%. Mike I leave my 6.0 sit and I drive my sebering from medina to catawba is, truck get 13 car 27. I have a 06 f350 65k on it, it sit's a lot. I look for diesel to hit $4.30 by jan jm.02
wajski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Smokinbubba

I leave the dually parked and drive a 98VW TDI for economy. The Vdub gets 40mpg+ and the cummins gets 18. No brainer for me... Have about $1500 in the dub
Smokinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
FISNFOOL

I remember during the gas crisis in the 70's people were switching to diesel because it was cheaper. I told my wife then that supply and demand would eventually out price gas.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
cjbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris311 View Post
my work truck is a 06 dodge dually with the 5.9 cummins and a bully dog system gets 31mpg and 27 when pulling a 24ft trailer and my beater truck gets 16 on a good day and its a v6 explorer its cheaper to drive diesel for me
You are BSing us, huh?
cjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
bdubb

07 duramax gets 22mpg on highway 19 pulling boat and 17 in town, i get a little over 400 to a tank but only fill up every two weeks
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
ovlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris311 View Post
yea i call bs on that any day I work as a diesel mechanic better get your odometer checked bud thats not adding up

I leave the truck for when I need it and drive my car for commuting.
ovlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
laynhardwood

31 mpg that is funny and obviously a dodge freak I call bs on that

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
laynhardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Wannabitawerm
Flatulent Entreprenuer

I have a 2002 f350 4x4 sc/long bed. My average mpg is 16.3. Highway is maybe 21 or 22. 31 out a diesel is possible but you will spend a nice chunk of cabbage to get it and no way is a crew cab dually gonna hit that mileage towing. I don't care how you drive. Go for the beater and park the truck if you can. Also the vw diesels are awesome on mileage. I second that one.

Ain't technology great? Now I can be distracted by fishing everywhere I go!

It's okay to sleep on the couch... we're guys... it's like camping... we like that.
"The Riot", Wannabitawerm -a.k.a- Sam
Wannabitawerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
buck.eyehunter

Mike I had a 04 duramax that got 18 mpg and got a beater to drive in the winter not towing.
Then purchased a new 2012 crew cab duramax only got 12 mpg so I had some guy remove all the emissions stuff and programming, 5 inch exhaust, intake.. I know see 16 to 17 towing and 24 not highway not towing.
Still drive the beater 99 malibu as well but honesty not that much better on gas the big advantage for me I get my tow vehicle sits in a warm garage and does not get used..

I Have never seen 31 mpg in a full size truck most people that get that guess..

Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
alumcreeker
walleyes and whitetails

Ive got an 06 f250 crew cab 4x4 ive got a decent amount of work done and i can hit 20 21 mpg while driving however 16 at best when towing my 8k trencher i fill up 3times a week and i personally would hate to ever drive a car again you know when buying these trucks they arent going to see 30 plus mpgs just drive the truck love the idea youve got what a lot want and be happy....just saying lol

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #20
Uncle Paul

My buds got a ton 4 by 4 Dodge Diesel not sure if its a 05 or an 06 but the onboard computer shows 30mpg when we were out west last month empty and 24 to 25 when we were pulling his 35ft trailer, never did check the mileage but we did go a long way on a tank of fuel. Hes one of those guys who waits for the low fuel light to go on before he stops.
Uncle Paul is offline   Reply With Quote