Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Berlin eyes spawning yet?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
gnk81

Default Berlin eyes spawning yet?

just wanted to know if they were spawning yet...did well there last year?
gnk81 is online now   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
LJL96

Location: 3mins from W.B. 7mins from Milton 12mins from Berlin

Dont fish berlin much but still a little early for them to be spawning.
LJL96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
t.stuller

Seen two vehicles at the 224 causeway around 8:30pm. I'd say its a little early still. Give it another week or two though and they should be up in the Mahoning river.
t.stuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
bassinbrownie

Went out last night bout 5 others and 3 boats. Didn't see any caught or any movement..it is early, but I'm guessing the beginning of next wk they'll start moving.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
bassinbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Walleye 3
Mongo

If the weather holds for next week with the high temps and warm nights it should be great.

Walleye 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
WALLEYE WALLHANGIN'

Thumbs up

5 straight days in the 60s with lows in the 40s!It will soon be ON! water temp was at 40 on mar 3rd.Rising water temp=fillets!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Whaler
Whaler

Snaggers ?
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
WALLEYE WALLHANGIN'

Thumbs up

personally i throw back foul hooked or ILLEGAL fish.I mostly throw the HJ-14 and all fish have been hooked in the mouth.But im sure there is alot of snagging going on..especially with the vibeEs..maybe this year we wont have eggs on the rocks again after the CORPS dropped the lake 4' in years past..
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Snaggers ?
I see a question mark at the end of your very informative post....What is your question?
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
gnk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLEYE WALLHANGIN' View Post
personally i throw back foul hooked or ILLEGAL fish.I mostly throw the HJ-14 and all fish have been hooked in the mouth.But im sure there is alot of snagging going on..especially with the vibeEs..maybe this year we wont have eggs on the rocks again after the CORPS dropped the lake 4' in years past..
ya man last year all them eyes i seen spawning and went back the following week and the water dropped below where they were spawning ...so sad
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
dcross765

A lot of concerned discussion bout them dropping the water level there in years past. Was told that is why the nets did'nt go in last year and that no eggs were taken to to stock other lakes. The only fish that legally bite during the spawn will be the jacks. The big females will not feed during spawning. They may hit a bait from aggression but more than likely not. In my experience if i seen a big female it usually was snagged. The weather forecast for next week will turn the causeway into the main attraction (circus) that it can be sometimes. Game wardens will be watching just like in years past so be weary of what is caught and kept and how it is caught. I hope it is productive like it was last year good luck everyone.
dcross765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
gnk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross765 View Post
A lot of concerned discussion bout them dropping the water level there in years past. Was told that is why the nets did'nt go in last year and that no eggs were taken to to stock other lakes. The only fish that legally bite during the spawn will be the jacks. The big females will not feed during spawning. They may hit a bait from aggression but more than likely not. In my experience if i seen a big female it usually was snagged. The weather forecast for next week will turn the causeway into the main attraction (circus) that it can be sometimes. Game wardens will be watching just like in years past so be weary of what is caught and kept and how it is caught. I hope it is productive like it was last year good luck everyone.
hey man are you the guy who wrote that awesome fishing book on ohio?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
firstflight111
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross765 View Post
well i whve fished the spawn for 30 years... i have caught many females and also snagged a bunch(they were all let go ) but that will happen when you fish the spawn.. my buddy gets them on tiny minnows...
firstflight111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Walleye 3
Mongo

Yes there were eggs lost last year when the lake was drawn down, but that also happened early in the spawn. A cold snap also happened then pushing the rest of the spawners deeper. They ended up finishing the spawn at a normal pool level and last years spawn was very good again.

Walleye 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Whaler
Whaler

Village Idiot, that was short for were they snaggers. I've hear over the past couple of years where there is a lot of snagging going on off the causeway at night.
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
village idiot

Whaler

thought maybe you were reffering to all that enjoy the opportunity to catch a few walleye in the spring from shore "snaggers" which just isnt the case. I prefer to fish a jig and twister and occasionally throw a stick bait but in either case the fish will bite the bait. No need to snag.
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
glfpro07

Does anyone cast crankbaits at night fishing for walleye?
glfpro07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
t.stuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Village Idiot, that was short for were they snaggers. I've hear over the past couple of years where there is a lot of snagging going on off the causeway at night.
Alot of snagging does go on at night down there, but alot of fish are honestly caught. As a fellow made in an ealier post, the males will bite during the spawn, but rarely the females. It has also been my experience that the same guys who snag at Milton, are the same ones who snag at Berlin and other places. I am all for a law regarding a ban on treble hooks at all known walleye spawning areas.
I usually use anywhere from an 1/8 ounce to a 1/2 jig (depending on current) and catch plenty of legal fish, mostly males. Did catch a 6lb female below the berlin spillway last year, but threw her back, she was full of eggs.
t.stuller is offline   Reply With Quote