Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Boats and Motors >

2006 Lund Transom Issues

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Lundfish

This is friggin bs. I have a 2008 tyee that keeps breaking seats. I guess that's not Lund's fault. If I find a rotted transom I'm not going to be happy. The thing is outside 9 months out of the year with a cover in it, on a trailer.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
bountyhunter

Default trans

HEY HET before you open mouth think first. before I had my merc 115 opti put on the DEALER said it would be smart to check out the transom so they DID. that was a well known dealer close by.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
Papascott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
HEY HET before you open mouth think first. before I had my merc 115 opti put on the DEALER said it would be smart to check out the transom so they DID. that was a well known dealer close by.
Hey Jim might want to reread who said what.
Papascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
capt j-rod

Default Re: Lund Fish

The old tap with a hammer trick doesn't work with this application. I dont know if the tyee has the cast aluminum caps on the back corners but that is pretty easy to peek under. Best bet is to take a clamp near the scupper hole in the engine well and see if any black water oozes out. Had some extensive dry rot as well. It is a b@#ch but the best is to lift the motor, pull out the bolts and probe the holes. Remove the trim cap across the transom and look there. If all is well then seal the hell out of as many penetrations that you can and use silicone to put the cap back down. 3m 5200 below the water line. Silicone anywhere you might need to go back to at a later date. Might be able to use a heater when it is open and watch for steam evaporating out. Ours was steaming quite a bit while we removed it with the propane heater pointed at it. Good luck!
capt j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
bountyhunter

Default motor

I do appoligies , I had a old timers monment after 65 I,m not responsable for my actions. my wife is. sorry.again.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
K gonefishin
Eye Slayer

Send a message via MSN to K gonefishin

That's good someone checked. I guess you do know but how many people don't know and if you wouldn't have gotten a motor hung you still wouldn't know like many others. I want pouting off I was simply asking how do you know and you answered I hope I'm not as grumpy as you when I'm older geez

Sent from my DROID X2
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #27
OakLane

My buddies 2002 is a real turd.Transom rotted out 2 years ago.Floors replaced 4 years ago.Blows rivets like crazy.This boat is not used a lot,sits in barn out of weather.Terrible quality.Wish you luck with the 2006,not a great way to start with a new to you boat.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
Marinette Sportfisherman

Boats and Motors
Marinette Sportfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
capt j-rod

yep, i canrelate to that pic... that ones nice must be an '08 lol
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
Marinette Sportfisherman

Boats and Motors

2002 Lund Alaskan SSV-20 bought new and its kept in garage 365 days and never left overnight in the elements without protection. When the top transom cap pops and you see brown liquid staining coming from the transom bolts big issue. I email lund and took numerous photos of the issues. If you look at the rotted transom you will see a corner piece in the btm right corner, they must have cut it wrong and you will see the little filler piece seperated since the corrugated fasteners rusted away. Transom, floors and gun boxes rotted.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
bluegilla killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinette Sportfisherman View Post
Boats and Motors
you sending that back to lund with a nice letter?
bluegilla killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #32
Marinette Sportfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegilla killa View Post
you sending that back to lund with a nice letter?
Hopefully they do a better job in the glass business.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
capt j-rod

Default 2002 Lund

Loving that chalk board and sidewalk chalk. Looks like we have the same daycare center. We added thicker plates behind the motor and inside the motor well. Our boat also had the aerator pump leaking (badly) Installed by our super dealer that supposedly replaced it during their "3000 point super inspection". Apparently their guys don't look for rot, plumbing leaks, battery leaks with corrosive acid, or much of anything. I won't mention names of the dealer yet but it is not the local lund dealer on lake erie. Pretty disappointed so far. Good to see that there are at least two 20' alaskans with a good transom.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
Marinette Sportfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt j-rod View Post
Loving that chalk board and sidewalk chalk. Looks like we have the same daycare center. We added thicker plates behind the motor and inside the motor well. Our boat also had the aerator pump leaking (badly) Installed by our super dealer that supposedly replaced it during their "3000 point super inspection". Apparently their guys don't look for rot, plumbing leaks, battery leaks with corrosive acid, or much of anything. I won't mention names of the dealer yet but it is not the local lund dealer on lake erie. Pretty disappointed so far. Good to see that there are at least two 20' alaskans with a good transom.

My buddy oaklane dropped it off so the little one can stay busy while i work on the boat. bwahahah she went 5 minutes without screaming "dad". The big issue i saw was the transom pocket does did not have any way to drain so i had water laying against the bare outside alum skim so i used a 2" wire wheel with an extension and got all the alum clean and sealed it with epoxy also. You will notice the strap on the starboard rear corner latched to the gun box and the
hook plus the clamp to get the corner back in place, either the boat has some spring in it or the weak transom pulled the corners out of wack, starboard and port was the same.