Ohio Game Fishing



Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Small Game Hunting >

Coyote Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Minnowhead
Senior Member
 
Minnowhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 715
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

posted on wrong thread, sorry.
__________________
Throwing icecubes in the lake all summer long!

TEAM SHAPPELL
Minnowhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE



Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #22
BringEnoughGun
Junior Member
 
BringEnoughGun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ashtabula
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I shot this large female last month. Called her in with a female challenge and death cry. She howled right after I called prolly within 100 yards of us and my buddy and I set up right away. Only took her about two minutes to come in but it was dark and we didn't see her circle my call and she ran up about 10 feet from it and smelled it and took off we spotted her right as she ran. My friend shined her and as she was running away I took three shots and missed. Then she started running broad side I took one more shot and down she went. All happened within like 45 seconds. We retraced her tracks and found out she came out of the woods right next to us but she circled the call downwind. Luckily there was snow on the ground or I wouldnt have been able to see her at all. I walked off the the distance and counted 250 yards give or take a couple. 250 yards at a full out run, broadside with a .223.....miracles do happen lol Small Game Hunting
__________________
De Oppresso Liber
BringEnoughGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF
 
ezbite's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from mosquito lake
Posts: 12,237
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Blog Entries: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringEnoughGun View Post
I shot this large female last month. Called her in with a female challenge and death cry. She howled right after I called prolly within 100 yards of us and my buddy and I set up right away. Only took her about two minutes to come in but it was dark and we didn't see her circle my call and she ran up about 10 feet from it and smelled it and took off we spotted her right as she ran. My friend shined her and as she was running away I took three shots and missed. Then she started running broad side I took one more shot and down she went. All happened within like 45 seconds. We retraced her tracks and found out she came out of the woods right next to us but she circled the call downwind. Luckily there was snow on the ground or I wouldnt have been able to see her at all. I walked off the the distance and counted 250 yards give or take a couple. 250 yards at a full out run, broadside with a .223.....miracles do happen lol Small Game Hunting
thats great. nothing wrong with a nice 250 yard shot how about a closer look at your rifle.

by the way, did the full moon make those suckers go nuts last night?
__________________
if you got a few minutes, click the link below and check out my videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1

Last edited by ezbite; 03-11-2012 at 02:09 AM.
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Smallmouth Crazy
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hilliard
Posts: 4,128
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Yes thats a very nice shot, funny how she came out of the woods close by you guys, almost spooky.
Smallmouth Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
BringEnoughGun
Junior Member
 
BringEnoughGun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ashtabula
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallmouth Crazy View Post
Yes thats a very nice shot, funny how she came out of the woods close by you guys, almost spooky.
yeah you shoulda heard her when she howled. So close. We stepped outta the truck, called and she hit right back. Gets your primitive instincts and adrenaline goin.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
De Oppresso Liber
BringEnoughGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
Bulldawg
Bulldawg
 
Bulldawg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Tallmadge (anywhere the fish are biting)
Posts: 934
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I had a couple howl very close at night , after hearing silence for hours on end . Then out of now where one cuts loose super close .
__________________
Bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF
 
ezbite's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from mosquito lake
Posts: 12,237
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Blog Entries: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
I had a couple howl very close at night , after hearing silence for hours on end . Then out of now where one cuts loose super close .
thats gotta make you pee a bit.lol.
__________________
if you got a few minutes, click the link below and check out my videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
Bulldawg
Bulldawg
 
Bulldawg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Tallmadge (anywhere the fish are biting)
Posts: 934
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Things pucker up also !!!!!! This warm weather is great too have for this time of the year , but I was hoping to get a few more coyote hunts in before turkey season . Not looking good !!
__________________
Bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF
 
ezbite's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from mosquito lake
Posts: 12,237
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Blog Entries: 48
Default

[QUOTE=Bulldawg;1370513] Also keep in mind these lights have alot of spill and a halo is highly advised . What I found best for this is any plastic that can be rolled up to fit around the head of light and then zip tied on works best . Then I covered the plastic in camo duct tape. Doing this will make the beam tighter and more concentrated making it brighter at further distances . [QUOTE]

thanks for this tidbit, the "spill" from my kill light XLR-250 is really making it hard to identify my target. im about 99% positive it was a yote i saw last night, but couldnt identify it for sure, so i didnt shoot. im in the process of fabricating a halo right now. had to find this post because i couldnt remember if you put it on the scope or the light itself.
__________________
if you got a few minutes, click the link below and check out my videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #30
Bulldawg
Bulldawg
 
Bulldawg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Tallmadge (anywhere the fish are biting)
Posts: 934
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Ezbite , go back and look at my pic further down the thread . I put it right on the light and had it off the end of the light itself 4" . Seeing eyes at night and not being able to identify sucks . I have seen more eyes lit up from deer than coyotes at night . It can be very hard to make out what the eyes are out at a couple hundred yards . Hope the halo works out for ya . Good luck on your full moon coyote quest , gonna be cold tonight and clear . Hopefully it works out for ya , the last coyote I killed was at night under the full moon with snow on the ground . They were really moving that night.
__________________
Bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.












Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2014, Game Fishing LLC