Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Sandusky and Maumee at risk?

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Canoerower

Default Sandusky and Maumee at risk?

With a lot of spillways being closed due to snagging, does anyone else think our spring run fishing here and thought the state is at risk?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Flathead76
Carp53.65

No way! The DNR makes waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much money writing tickets on that cash cow. All the DNR officers in northwest Ohio are shipped in to write tickets for the maumee run.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Erie1

Prop What Flathead said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead76 View Post
No way! The DNR makes waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much money writing tickets on that cash cow. All the DNR officers in northwest Ohio are shipped in to write tickets for the maumee run.
They make tooooooo much money on the Maumee
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
ErieRider

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 2

I usually don't care for elbow to elbow river fishing but with the bad spring last year on Erie I went down to the river. First cast of the day, I landed a legal eye, over the next 3 1/2 hours I pulled two more. I did not even get out of the river and was stopped at the bank by ODNR. They said, "wow you had a good day, saw you caught that fish on your first cast!" They watched me, which I knew they were bc we saw them rigging a plain clothes officer up like a fisherman when we drove through town, sat around waiting 3 1/2 hours just to check my fish, remembered who I was and could not wait to check me. I get it but to say it is a cash cow is an understatement. I was all legal and they sent me on they way but they are hungry that's for sure

"Don't Get The Subs Just Yet"....Dano, 2014
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Erie1

Thats why I like using a boat. I don't do anything illegal but it's just the thought of them sneaking around trying to bust people that bugs me.
I go dove hunting every year and they have there little traps in the dove fields also. Dress up like average Jo hunter sneaking around with there radios. It's irritating and it makes you want to play games with them. As immature as it is I have been known to do this.
Just dress like a game warden and check me all you want, they respect me and I respect them and we all get along.
If they sneak around playing bust the sportsman, then I play irritate the game warden. Thats not good for anyone. A lot of these guys are new to the job and get into the fun of the bust. I've had 30 years to learn my game and I play it well if my buttons are pushed.
Lets just play nice this year. I don't brake the law and the DRN doesn't try to get into my wallet sneaking around in the pucker brush with there radios.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Canoerower

Erie1 the little traps that your talking about will never hold up in court. There was a case with a game warden going to jail and losing his job over setting up baits in dove fields to trap hunters. Just like a bottomless creel. Not 100 percent sure but both can be considered entrapment. With the creel whether or not there's a bottom the fish is still entering the basket illegally whether it is a game warden or not. But do done checking before you quote lol.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
BFG

Quote:
Thats why I like using a boat.
I've seen guys get BIG tickets out of boats...b/c in a boat, one is more likely to do the following...

1. Sweep fish in the net into the bottom of the boat, un-hook out of sight, and then keep.

2. Throw all fish into one cooler, when the regulation clearly says that each angler must keep their fish separated

3. Keep more fish than they should, stuffing them into livewells, lockers, etc. etc.

There used to be a group of guys that fished out of a 17' Tracker at the end of the island. Always parked right in the middle of the river, making it a PITA for anyone to get around them. They did this so that they could fish both sides. Those guys were poachers, and I had been told that they were busted. I remember the one guy stood in the back of the boat and used a baitcaster. Grip and rip baby...grip and rip.

In fact, that little stretch of river there is one of the primary places that poachers can get away with it...not exactly easy to see what it is that they are doing.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
firstflight111
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoerower View Post
With a lot of spillways being closed due to snagging, does anyone else think our spring run fishing here and thought the state is at risk?

okay what spillway was closed due to snagging ??????
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Erie1

The Dove field situation. The DNR plants sun flowers and before dove season they cut them and turn the ground. It is then called a dove field. Nice for hunters. The bad part is there may be 50 people hunting a given field. There are non game birds flying everywhere. Shots going off in all directions. The DNR is dressed like Jo Hunter just waiting for someone to hit a non game bird. They created the perfect situation to make some fast money. Just like the Maumee they bring in game wardens from all over the state for opening day of Dove Season. My question is are they really trying to enforce the law and protect wild life or trying to make fast and easy cash???
This reminds me of the Toledo Red Light Cams.... are they trying to make driving safer or just fast and easy cash?
It what they do legal...Yes....Is it an ethical way to serve the people that buy a hunting and fishing license every year....I don't know about you but I don't think so.

OK....steping off my soap box now.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
BFG

Quote:
My question is are they really trying to enforce the law and protect wild life or trying to make fast and easy cash???
Yes.

Blame those who used to grip and rip with leadheads for the DNR presence.

Initially...I was as guilty as anyone. I now throw back fish that a lot of other guys would keep. See plenty of fish that are hooked in the thin skin between the lip and the cheek that go on stringers. I also see a lot that are hooked up and under the bottom jaw that get the same treatment.

Not judging, just my personal preference. I can't afford a ticket, plain and simple.

But...if nothing else, the days of seeing guys put gill-plate hooked 'eyes on stringers is over. Don't see too many fish that are drug in backwards or sideways anymore either. I use pretty light leader material (i.e. 8-10#) and if I hook one sideways, 9/10 times it will break off a few seconds into the fight.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
DeathFromAbove

If you ever look through their optics you would never even think about keeping another snagged fish-ever. They have some sweet glass and will usually let you check them out if you walk up and ask them They can count the whiskers on your chinny-chin -chin. They'll let you look probably figuring once you do there's one guy that will never keep a snag again. I get a kick out of the guys that try to hide taking a hook out of an Illegal fish. No Chance Dude. A huge Cash Cow it is.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie1 View Post
The Dove field situation. The DNR plants sun flowers and before dove season they cut them and turn the ground. It is then called a dove field. Nice for hunters. The bad part is there may be 50 people hunting a given field. There are non game birds flying everywhere. Shots going off in all directions. The DNR is dressed like Jo Hunter just waiting for someone to hit a non game bird. They created the perfect situation to make some fast money. Just like the Maumee they bring in game wardens from all over the state for opening day of Dove Season. My question is are they really trying to enforce the law and protect wild life or trying to make fast and easy cash???
This reminds me of the Toledo Red Light Cams.... are they trying to make driving safer or just fast and easy cash?
It what they do legal...Yes....Is it an ethical way to serve the people that buy a hunting and fishing license every year....I don't know about you but I don't think so.

OK....steping off my soap box now.
I would say yes, trying to enforce the law.
Surely you don't believe they spend all that money preparing those fields so they can scratch back a few dollars from hunters who misidentify a dove? Being as there are more fisherman from all over converging in a few mile stretch for a 4-6 wk period than on the entire river for the rest of the year. I can see no better time to have more DNR officers on site just as with LEO on site at any other major event. An officer walking back and forth on the bank isn't going to deter many. But knowing one may be watching from the other bank and can radio over to their partner will make many reconsider. Lets face it people are who they are and this is why laws are imposed. I would think that the fine revenue generated hardley covers the cost for the extra officers on site needed to monitor such an area. jmo

On the other side I can understand why some are put off by the tactics used at times. Two years ago three of us were layout hunting and unknowingly had Lucas co. accompanied by Ottawa co. DNR watching us. When we got back to the ramp Cody was waiting at my truck and the Ottawa officer went to question the other two in the boat. They repeatedly asked us who shot what and in what order to a point of our frustration. After that we all stood around, talked about hunting and cracked some jokes. Since then everytime we run into Cody we always have a good conversation. After he checks for any violations of course. And so it is.

Last edited by Shark Attack; 03-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Erie1

I talked to Cody a few times.....Seems like good guy.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Shark Attack

Ya, he is and also an avid outdoorsman like us. Although we may not always agree with their approach in some instances, we also don't see some of the bs they're confronted with either. Just think we'll be seeing more of him in weeks ahead. Add smiley
Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
BFG

Look at it this way...I would gather that 90% or more of the guys with whom they confront flat out lie to them.

After awhile, that would irritate me too.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Redhunter1012

I just love the stories I hear every year. "Well, a guy I know got busted for keeping an outside in hooked fish". Or, "I had it hooked through the outside in and got busted". Those are the 2 most popular lies told about getting busted. Over the past decade since floaters were popularized, I have kept over a thousand walleye that were hooked outside in and have never been busted. I have handed my rod off thousands of times for someone to reel in a fish and never have been busted. I have talked to the head man up there (Marty Baer) and he absolutely will not bust anyone for BS. Trust me, he has stated that that he gets enough business from idiots polluting and keeping sideways fish he won't write a ticket unless the hook is atleast 2 inches away from the mouth
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
todd61

Back to the original post....Which spillways are being closed?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Lundfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG View Post

2. Throw all fish into one cooler, when the regulation clearly says that each angler must keep their fish separated
I've never heard of this. Does this only apply to the Maumee river? I know that when you go on a charter with 7 guys there are not 7 coolers.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Send a message via AIM to Mushijobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstflight111 View Post
okay what spillway was closed due to snagging ??????
Still wondering this myself....sounds like hearsay.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Shortdrift

When I read some of the posts on this thread and think about other posts covering snagging and lack of enforcement, I shake my head and wonder what does it take to make some people happy?
I feel the ODNR should do whatever and however it is necessary to get rid of those that break the law. To me, fishing (?) the "run" is a joke. Takes about as much skill as fishing a over stocked pond or pay lake. If all the things associated with the Spring river runs bother you then wait until the fish move back to the lakes where your have to locate them and find out what they will bite on.
Sorry for the rant boys but my wife and eleven women are having a club meeting in the next room and their various comments and complaints reminded me of this and other similar threads.