Ohio Game Fishing

Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > The Lodge >

Gas and Oil Leasing-Production vs Hunting

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Bonemann

Default Gas and Oil Leasing-Production vs Hunting

There is allot of activity in my area with gas and oil leasing (not too much drilling yet). I wonder how this is going to affect hunting or hunting leases.

I understand that some are surface and others non surface leases but does anyone know any rules or regulations: Distances away from active wells ? Away from compressor houses ? or any other things not thought about ?

Can people lease to both gas,oil and hunting ?

I hear that they have been developing wells in Pa. and WV. for a while now. I'm hoping someone here may know what we have to look forward to.
Bonemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Fish-N-Fool

I've hunted land in Muskingum county for years that has both natural gas and old style active surface rigs cranking away. The deer get used to them and move freely through the areas. The gas guys used quad runners to access the property and do their work....they weren't around much other than to check things out occasionally. You can actually use the noise to your advantage at times to sneak in and out, etc.

This was an established property however. I'm sure all the activity with adding new sites and having men and equipment in areas will change movement and in some cases eliminate once productive hunting ground. Some of these sites will be using 16 acres so there will have to be an effect on travel and movement to some extent.

As far as the lease and contract is concerned...I'd have no idea how those leases are structured.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
M.Magis

Even while drilling is going on, you'd be surprised how quickly deer get used to them. Our last well was drilled in the middle of a soy bean field in August. At night you could see deer right next to the rig, under the lights. I'm not away of any type of well that would take more than 5 acres to drill, but there could be. In a meeting I went to a while back regarding utica shale drilling, they showed pictures of active drill sites. They are large, but 5 acres was as large as they said any site would be.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
shorebound

The property I hunt is throwing the idea Around as well but it hasn't happened yet. I hope it doesn't effect the hunting. As far as distances it states in the rules under general info no hunter shall be in contact with oil well equipment but does not give set distances so that is a good question

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
shorebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Fish-N-Fool

Clarity on the 16 acres:

I am only repeating what a landowner told me; I don't own land in that area and have never even spoken with companies doing the actual work. This man is currently part of a landowner's association that was negotiating a contract on several thousand acres.

I was told they could utilize up to 16 acres maximum while establishing the well and site. Once everything was established the site would be 6 acres or less on a go-forward basis.

Again, I don't know the first thing about this process...but we have members on this site that own land down there and do know everything about the process.

Again, as far as hunting I wouldn't be too concerned on the effect on the deer in the long run.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-N-Fool View Post
Clarity on the 16 acres:

I am only repeating what a landowner told me; I don't own land in that area and have never even spoken with companies doing the actual work. This man is currently part of a landowner's association that was negotiating a contract on several thousand acres.

I was told they could utilize up to 16 acres maximum while establishing the well and site. Once everything was established the site would be 6 acres or less on a go-forward basis.
Iím sure thatís correct and I may be remembering only part of the details. Maybe they said it takes a minimum of 5 acres, though I was thinking they said maximum. Iím sure itís also something thatís typically worked out in the lease clauses.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote