Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge > Military Veterans >

Overseas Fishing?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
rcjohnson

Default Overseas Fishing?

I found myself wondering if anyone other than myself had done any fishing in far and distant lands?

Personally I have fished the Imjim River which flows from north to south Korea. Below Freedom Bridge which was wired with more explosives than Pack Rats Mammie! I caught fish I have never seen in the states but the Korean civilian that was with me just went wild over them!

I have also fished the Han River in Korea from a Jonboat with U.S. Army markings on the side of it.

I had my sister send me two Zebco 33's with two piece rods and a few lures and after a five minute block of instruction, my friend had it down pat. His family would come to watch and there was a round of applause whenever we caught something. Catch and release would have been out of the question! This was 1964 and things were still pretty tough for those people.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Dan44149
USMC 1997-2007

I never really deployed anywhere other than the sandbox... Sounds like you had a great time in Korea though (as far as fishing). I did make a habit of stuffing a Zebco 33 combo in a Sea Bag whenever we went to the field in NC though. Would sneak down to the river at night to fish.

Pro-Staff for Hips Archery Targets
Pro-Staff for Lethal Scent Control
"Like" me on facebook! www.facebook.com/THEohiobuckslayer
Follow on Twitter: @ohiobuckslayer
Dan44149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
I_WALL_I

Fishing the ponds at the rec centers in Germany was a drag, so the 2nd time stationed there I took ( 3 TIMES) the test to get a German fishing license.... it was tough, the test was in German, but it was worth it to be able to fish in other places... we think we as fisherman have it tough here in the U.S., but not only did you have to have a license, you had to have a PERMIT for the body of water you were fishing... when hitting the Rhine River, you had to find which town/community/authority controlled that stretch of water.... you could use no live bait, and the limits were tough... found a nice lake that had a great gasthaus on it, asked about fishing and they said it was private, for members only, but you could buy a 1 day pass, so I did.. walked down to it, looked like an old quarry, clear water, pretty as heck!! There were 7-8 older gentleman fishing w/ 10-12' poles on these really slick coolers w/ holders and all, fishing dead 5-7" shad... after talking with them a while, found out they don't catch much, mostly drink beer. So I walk down past them w/ a med. spinning outfit and a small tackle bag, tie on a chrome/blue Ratltrap, 2nd cast catch a 24" eye ( ZANDER ), I threw him back and all these old guys start yellin and hootin', seems they hadn't caught any for a while... so a few minutes later, BAM!, another, a little smaller, gave it to one of the guys who offered me a beer... after walking a lap around the lake with my new friends, and catching 4 more, these guys were impressed. ( plus they all took a fish home ) Long story short, toward the end of my tour they asked me join their club, they only allowed 200 members and one died... they hadn't had an American in the club since the early 70's ( soldier married a German girl and stayed ) Was honored they asked me, but had to decline since I was short and headed home.... GOOD TIMES w/ GREAT GUYS and GREAT BEER!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
rcjohnson

I always wanted to try the fishing in Germany but the license requirement stopped all that. We had a Rod&Gun Club but I don't remember anyone ever going fishing, just drinking a lot of beer. lol
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
I_WALL_I

The fly fishing was great at the rec. center in Garmish, nice little trout stream right there, you could cross over and fly fish in Austria too!! Caught a lot of nice trout and made some new friends!!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
OZZIEOHIO

I caught alot of nice trout in Germany. I fished streams between Aschaffenburg to Hanau and up to Fulda. Had to pay or each section it was costly but worth it. I loved fishing with ultra light gear and getting busted by a huge Pike. I also helped run the local ORA fishing hole we had tournys every other weekend. I miss Aschaffenburg and thta little pond I had alot of fun there.
OZZIEOHIO is offline   Reply With Quote